Notices

Finding a counselor

Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding a counselor

I would like to work with a counselor as I go through recovery, but am not sure how to find one. The yellow pages tell nothing about a counselor, and the two websites I've found about local counselors don't say much, either.

I called one yesterday, because she has experience both working with people with addictions and people who've experienced trauma. I have both (I was in an abusive relationship for a long time and that's when I REALLY started drinking).

When I spoke to this woman over the phone to make an appointment, I felt a little weird. And not because I was talking to a counselor, because I have been in and out of counseling for most of my adult life. I told her the things that I need to deal with: unresolved issues from abusive relationship, depression, self-esteem problems, and alcohol abuse.

She only asked me one question, and it zeroed in on alcohol, nothing else. I want the whole treated, not just the alcohol part. Then I looked at her website again after making the appointment and realized her bio says she does "12 step addiction treatment."

I am not opposed to 12 step, but I have done it in the past and right now am just not sure it's for me and want to be open to other methods of recovery. That's part of why I want to work with a counselor (then there's all the other stuff).

Does anyone have any tips for finding a good counselor?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look for letters after the name;

LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor. It means they have a professional license to counsel, granted by the state.

CSAC - Certified Substance Abuse Counselor. This is someone with extra training in substance abuse. They generally have at least a bachelor's degree (the basic four-year college degree). In most states they cannot practice independently.

CAC - Certified Alcoholism Counselor. Similar to a CSAC, but with an emphasis on alcohol

And, if you're comfortable doing this, interview them like they were applying for a job. Remember, they work for you.

AT the end of the day, you should feel comfortable enough to think you can form a trusting relationship with them.

Good luck. My counselors have saved my life.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I have seen at least a dozen concelors over the years.

The are two aspects to having a sucessful experience.

Finding someone that you will be comfortable enough to say what needs to be said. Example... I saw a bunch that only now I realize I never felt like I could say the hard stuff. They did not seem receptive to the ways i needed to communicate. Since you may not know that this early do not feel bad if you need to change the first few to adjust and learn. I have one now that I can really open up to. And I seldom open up to anyone.

The second thing to think about is you. Are you ready to speak of the issues as much as you think you are? Trauma is tough. I thought I was telling what I felt only to realize I intelectalized the emotions rather than feel them.

I am not suggesting that we are the same. Just offering up a perspective from someone who has long sought help but not till know learned how to accept it.

Best to you!

Ken
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can take a lot of trial and error. I would get recommendations from friends, or if you have any resources at your job or church that you can rely upon, that works too. I'd give this person a chance and not make too many judgements based on a phone call. Usually the first appointment is like an intake or assessment where you talk about your issues /background at a high level and come up with a treatment plan. Your counselor should be willing to discuss how things are going along the way and how it is working with you as well as be able to handle feedback when it is not going well.
Remember YOU are paying them and they work for you and if it's not working out you need to find someone that you can really connect with. That doesn't mean it's best when it's easy, the best therapist I've ever had and still see really challenges me on some things and sometimes p*sses me right off
Good luck and don't get discouraged! when you find the right one it is so worth it!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PS and the weird thing takes some getting used to, but most of these people have heard it ALL.....so most likely you are not telling her anything she hasn't heard in one form or another from someone else.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I did know about the various licensures (I originally wanted to be a counselor).

I guess I just need to go with trial and error. I may also ask the victim-witness coordinator from my last job, as she refers victims of crime to local counselors regularly.

Each time I've been in counseling, I've grown. I am ready to grow again.