Notices

Step 3

Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 3

We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him. How would you say this step in your own words?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't run my life...I think I'll let Him.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about steps, and I feel like that needs to be mentioned before saying this in my own words... but for me, since I do not believe in "God..." I would have to simply say that I need to work hard and trust in the Universe. I don't feel comfortable believing that I can just hand over my will to something else but I do believe the Universe works in mysterious ways.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I can't run my life...I think I'll let Him.
Ditto I know well I did while driving my life. LOL. No thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a Higher Power....And all I pray for is other people. I pray for people on this site. All of them...But some of them by name also. The same with my meetings. I pray for everyone that suffers from this disease. And I ask for guidance that I do the next right thing...That I'm useful...And that I have the chance to help someone today. That's it.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by lhenderson View Post
We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him. How would you say this step in your own words?
I'd say: I made a decision.........to turn my life and will over.....not TO God, but to the care and protection of God.

It's JUST a DECISION (<-- click for link).....just a thought, basically. People try to complicate 3 and that'll kill ya. It's so simple a 4yr old could do it.

fwiw, a determination (part of the definition for decision) is HERE

There are several requirements prior TO that decision though....a necessary couple things that need to be in place or our decision isn't a solid/grounded one. That decision.........unless followed by action to enforce/reinforce the decision.......can and will likely have little staying power. --an example would be in the times we "decided" to stop drinking.....yet drank again - often within minutes or hours of that prior decision.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

There's a really strong 12-step area HERE on SR. It's probably your best place to ask step/AA related questions as you'll get replies from folks who've used these steps for years.......or decades.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I told God (my higher power) that I was done fighting and that I couldn't have the life I wanted without his help. That I made bad choices on my own and that my will for my life would NEVER be as wonderful as HIS will for my life.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I am willing to set aside my old beliefs and I am willing to believe that something greater than me will help me work through the steps 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9 so I make a decision to move forward with those steps.

The new solution is in working the steps.