Notices

Even if your atheist or agnostic

Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Even if your atheist or agnostic

Afternoon,

I just was thinking at a meeting today about when I came into AA and was not sure of the whole god thing and how to handle it. At first being agnostic I thought a spiritual experience seemed it would be impossible. For to be doomed to the life of addiction or to live on a spiritual plane seemed it might be hard decision to face. I truly believe it simply was the giving up the power was my dilemma. But I went in open mined anyway. Simply because I knew I could not live like I was anymore. Knockin on heavens door at 39, I wanted to be done.

So as my journey went on and worked the step the further I got the more I could lay down my predjudice's and truly express a will to believe in my own power which is absolutly greater than myself. Even though I cant even to this day fully comprehend or define how or what it is, I can say it is there. And I lean on it alot. So in short I just thought I would write this for people that are not in or hold back from AA just because of the fear of the "God" thing. Once I became willing to believe as many other come to you are well on your way. !!!! Upon such a simple thing and a cornerstone your foundation will become stronger and so will your sobriety.

Anyway have a lovely day and always remember to Smile because sobriety looks good on ya

Good love, Inda .
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great post Inda....Glad you are back and posting!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lovely post Inda. Great to see you doing so well.

Thankfully though for those of us who remain athiest or agnostic, the 12 step assertion that the only choice we have is between a life doomed to addiction or a life on a spiritual plane is not the case. For many of us recovery does not have a spiritual component and it's necessary to balance the message to newcomers to this site with this point of view in my opinion.

I was led to believe for a very long time that my sobriety would never last while I was unable to relate to the spiritual aspects of 12 step. Thankfully it turns out that this is not the case today.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

When I connected with other atheist/agnostics in AA and found out how they were able to work the 12-Steps for lasting sobriety. The feeling that I was some kind of outsider in AA vanished. I am grateful for those atheist/agnostics that came before me, showing me and others like me that AA is for anybody regardless if they lack of faith.

Originally Posted by IM
Once I became willing to believe as many other come to you are well on your way.
To have likewise worldviews with my peers has helped me come a long way.

Great post, thank you I need to read this today.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

As an agnostic, i too have found the path to sobriety through AA. I found that the program and community wasn't out there to change my spirituality. In fact, i've found that my spiritual life had strengenthened during my time in AA. I'm not sure if it's because i'm sober or because i've started really connecting with my Higher Power. I know they use the word God a lot but where it used to scare and even sort of offend me i know it now to be basically a convenient catch all term for your own personal Higher Power. AA works. When worked honestly and earnestly it really works! When i took the cottonballs out of my ears, shoved them in my mouth and opened my mind and heart to the message AA was laying out there i finally got it. I wanted what they had and damnit, i've gone to any length to get it! Take those steps! They are hard but what you learn and what you get is so worth it. It's so very worth it.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good stuff Grits!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Haha...thanks Sapling! It still kills me how long it took me to finally see AA with an unprejudiced view. Took me years before i finally got so bad i said "well, i guess it's finally time i really check out AA. I've got nowhere else to turn." Lol...that feeling of hoplessness and confusion was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I was a drowning girl and i let AA and the Steps be my life preserver.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Grits - I am so glad you came in.And have received the miracle that your are.

Well off to my home group. Got more to do its almost time for Founder's Day.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Sapling Thank You so nice to be back.