Notices

Relapse

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

Convinced myself friday night that buying some bourbon and beer was a good idea. Even as I was buying it, deep down I knew I would regret it. Hungover and a bit angry as I type this, but I,m not giving up. Only drank 1/2 the
750ml bottle of bourbon over the weekend and dumped the other half down the drain this morning. I,m still confident I can beat this, but Iv'e been reminded again how fragile early recovery can be. I made it 31 days.
Day 1 again today.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome back Dave.

Tell you what, next time you think bourbon and beer is a good idea, remember, we cant drink.

Hard lesson to learn, easy sentence to remember.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Dave for dumping half the bourbon down the drain! I think that is a victory that you can be proud of; it shows commitment and that you really want to succeed at being sober.
Don't beat yourself up, 31 days is great, and you're right back at it. You can do it! Keep posting!

:ghug3
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I don't drink"

I say it ALL the time.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Dave, the only situation where mistakes are to be commended is that where a lesson is learned, so that the mistake can never happen again. What have you come up with? If you haven't learned from this, then you get to make this post all over again. This is an opportunity and a gift, if you can take it that way.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. I agree with you freshstart 57, I have relapsed before and dumped booze down the drain. Over the past year or so I've relapsed a few times but the relapses are getting progessively shorter so I think I am learning something with each slip up. Reading about everyones journey here on the SR forum is definitely a big help. It,s time for me to learn without the relapses.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about what you might do differently this time Dave?
Thought of things you could add to what you've been doing?

D
Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dumping it down the drain was a good sign... when I would try to quit in the past I would ALWAYS finish whatever I had left and then try to go cold turkey. This last time I dumped what I had like you did and swore it off. With some help from others I've managed to stay sober longer than ever. I pray for help and also seek it out from others that have been through this tough addiction. Without help from others I have never been able to succeed. I hope that you can reach out... whether it's AA, church, this site or wherever else you can find solace. Take care!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Of course you can beat it, Dave. I had many Day One's, but I now have over 4 yrs. You'll make it stick this time.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. Congratulation on 4 years hevyn. Dee, I think I really need to concentrate on personal growth. Isn't that the basis of any true recovery? If I become stagnant, I drink.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personal growth is good Dave and pretty close to my own personal credo - it's hard to feel the need to escape from a happy and contented life....

but I had to make sure I had the 'no drinking thing ever' down first, or I was putting the cart before the horse

D
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Every alkie deals with the "I can drink socially" feeling. I gotta say, pouring the rest of the bottle down the drain is a great step. It's extremely hard to do for us but my goodness is it gratifying!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by Davestwincam View Post
Convinced myself friday night that buying some bourbon and beer was a good idea
For me understanding the factors leading up the above type of situation, and doing what I needed to do to prevent it getting that far is important............for next time.

What you need to know and what will help you are for you to decide. It can be done.

Good luck- spill the beans here if need be