Notices

Well, moderation didn't work.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, moderation didn't work.

I've recently reached the sad conclusion that I'm going to have to totally quit alcohol, because I have been unsuccessful with moderation. It always starts around 5:00; I want to relax after a long day, and I start sipping wine. I intend to just have a glass, maybe two. But by the time I go to bed, I've put away an entire bottle. Sometimes more. I'm not falling over or anything, but I know I'm drinking too much.

For me, the most challenging thing is that my husband won't consider quitting, so how on earth am I supposed to avoid temptation when it's being brought into my house on a daily basis?

I'm thinking I might just go off to the book store or a yoga class or something when he gets home, that way I remove myself from the whole evening ritual thing, you know? I don't want to have to avoid him forever, but what else can I do? Any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Luling
It is hard to accept that moderation doesn't work, but then again you won't find anyone on here who hasn't tried to disprove that , me included.

The first drink does the damage, so hold that in your head

With your husband, fair enough if he doesn't want to stop, your recovery is the only one you can manage

However, he will need to support you in your recovery. Don't try and make him stop, but try and see if he can support you in stopping

At the very least he has a sober driver guaranteed (not a great answer, but a start)

Oh, and sober is fab, so welcome and work towards that

Billy
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you can tell him you are concerned with your acohol consumption and you want to quit...Maybe he'll support you. Maybe he'll join you....Who knows...Take care of yourself...I'd probably go to an AA meeting when he got home to drink....Because that would be the best place for me to be.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think your idea of a substitute activity in the evening is good. A yoga class is relaxing and you can concentrate on something besides cocktail hour. you don't say if your husband drinks normally or not, but I think you telling him you feel that booze affects you is important and ask for support.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you've decided you need to stop drinking.

The fact your husband drinks should not be a deterrent from you stopping. Hopefully he will be considerate with his drinking, but leaving the house and doing other things is a great solution to the problem.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also learned that moderation wouldnt work for me. My plan to moderate always had the potential to go out the window once I had my first drink. Most of the time it was fine but the disasters that would occur when I failed are what ultimately led me to quit for good
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome neighbor!

It's possible that you could be a shining example of how cool life can be in sobriety for your husband. It's also possible he may not be interested. I find my recovery improves the most when I focus on what I am doing to better my life...I can get so lost in what everyone around me is doing. Like trying to help someone get that speck out of their eye while I ignore the log in mine. Either way, best of luck.

Not sure if you have visited us in AA yet. Plenty of meetings where you are. It was the catalyst for the Freedom I have today.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband does drink too much; I'd say he's about the same as I am. He knows it's too much, but won't consider quitting at this point.

I did tell him that I think I drink too much and am going to have to quit, and he is supportive. I'm not giving him a hard time about his own habit, but I do hope he decides to join me at some point.

So I've thought about AA and have even looked at the website, but I'm really nervous:
1. What if I bump into someone I know?
2. I'm kind of reserved in groups of people, especially in a brand new setting such as this.
3. I would feel embarrassed. I don't know why, I just would.
4. Is there a book I have to get first?

Yikes.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A man on a mission

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
My husband does drink too much; I'd say he's about the same as I am. He knows it's too much, but won't consider quitting at this point.

I did tell him that I think I drink too much and am going to have to quit, and he is supportive. I'm not giving him a hard time about his own habit, but I do hope he decides to join me at some point.

So I've thought about AA and have even looked at the website, but I'm really nervous:
2. I'm kind of reserved in groups of people, especially in a brand new setting such as this.
4. Is there a book I have to get first?

Yikes.
This is something I worry about as well and is one of the things that keeps me away from NA meetings.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just go if you think it is the best for you. I have gone to a few meetings and have seen one person I know. One of the A's is for anonymous so try not to worry about that. As for your husband. Try talking to him about your problem. He may be supportive. If not you still have to take care of you. Do what you need to do to stay sober. I know you can do it.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post

... how on earth am I supposed to avoid temptation when it's being brought into my house on a daily basis?

I'm thinking I might just go off to the book store or a yoga class or something when he gets home, that way I remove myself from the whole evening ritual thing, you know? I don't want to have to avoid him forever, but what else can I do? Any thoughts would be welcome.
You do it for you. When you see your truth with drinking, and you concede to your innermost self that you are an alcoholic, then you will go to any lengths to stay sober.

What others are doing around you will have no bearing on your actions.

We learn to grow up, and not rely on our feelings.

Join the gym, join AA, plant a garden...better yet...find a sober activity that you both can do together...something that he could do with you in the evenings but that he would stay sober with you while doing this activity.

Trick him!

Think of something great. Now that the weather is nice, maybe it could be biking, or hiking, or a landscaping project...be creative...something outdoors so it's not being home and drinking.

If you can motivate him to do something, he won't be home drinking with you watching.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My main problem with moderation, aside from the fact that it didn't work for me, is that I have to think about drinking all the time--my "alcoholic voice" pesters me like a five year old in a toy store. After a month of sobriety he finally started to shut up once in a while and now that I'm seven months in I barely ever hear him.

Having a supportive drinking spouse can be a good thing. It gives you a safe place to practice sobriety in a drinking world.

I don't go to AA, my community is so small, but I have lots of friends who do so I guess I might as well. I have found AA to be extremely useful, even without being a member. All their "cliches" really work.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

The attempt and failure to moderate with alcohol for me means that my ego is out of balance. It means i need to bring my ego down and my humility up. Also, it's a reminder that i am truly powerless against alcohol. I used to be terribly mad. Almost raging mad at the idea that i couldn't drink. Now it's more a dull ache. I'm allergic to it. I'd rather be allergic to alcohol than shellfish! It's just something that can no longer be a part of my life because it's dangerous to my health and can kill me. I can't will away my allergy/addiction and that's fine. I accept it with humility and give myself over toward a sober life.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have given up on trying to be a "normal" drinker. Lord knows I have tried. I really think that is one of the toughest things to really get a hold of when you are trying to quit.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Angry This is not good for my cause.

I first posted in here a little while ago and I think I'm hoping that moderation will work. Of course, the more I read on this site (after posting)...the more I see that people don't succeed with this.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Luling...Everbody that goes to AA has had a first meeting...We all felt the same as you. Take a look at this website...It answers a lot of questions....Including fear, I hope at least you try one.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
This is something I worry about as well and is one of the things that keeps me away from NA meetings.
You have to figure it's not keeping the person you are afraid of running into away. People go to AA/NA to solve a problem...A very serious problem...That's nothing to be ashamed of...That's doing something to save your life.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

4. Is there a book I have to get first.

good on ya for seein the problem.

1) didja care iffen people saw ya drunk?? i will guarantee that iffen ya run into someone ya know they will be very glad to see ya doin sometyhing about yer drinkin problem.
2) no need to be concerned about that. i am sure you will get phone #'s from others in recovery and will be able to meet one on one. over time, this will get better.
3) being told what i had done and said the night before was quite embarrassing. going to meetings to get the help i wanted is nothig to be embarrassed about.
4) no books you have to get 1st. we have a book( we call it the Big Book). it titled Alcoholics A nonymous. it is the story of how millions of alcoholics have recovered from alcoholism.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Here is the book...You don't even have to go buy it.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Once you make up your mind to quit, nothing will stop you.
Yoga sounds good.
Maybe try an AA meeting?
Your husband might be an inspiration when you have been to yoga, AA, out for coffee.... and come home to him asleep on the couch drooling.
He might join you!:ghug3