Notices

AA's first step in recovery.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA's first step in recovery.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed. We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control.

bb pg 30

Smashed.... to destroy utterly

merriam-webster
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really timely post, Sapling. I am finishing my first step today to present to my sponsor tomorrow. It is refreshing to no longer be smashed and be able to fully embrace the true meaning of that statement. BTW, that is one adoreable pooch!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"fully concede to our innermost selves"

A desire to change from the inside out; no court order or monitoring required, no ultimatums from others as a driving force....no desire to "get away with it," rather a desire to escape from it's influence and control.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Indeed
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting idea. Seeing as this is not a 12 step forum we owe it to the newcomers to say that powerlessness is primarily part of AA's doctrine and is not generally accepted elsewhere.

I know you were kind enough to mention it is from AA but I know when I first decided to quit and was anxious and scared, this kind of thinking would have done more harm than good.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
I know you were kind enough to mention it is from AA but I know when I first decided to quit and was anxious and scared, this kind of thinking would have done more harm than good.
I read that book three times before I had a sponsor....It didn't do any harm to me.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for this sapling. I'm not in AA but I know I couldn't control my drinking. And not drinking has been my saving grace. That is one cute pup!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is the number one step in getting sober whatever program you choose. That alcohol is winning. When you really admit to it fully and understand that you can't drink again, you have tried that many times and failed. Then you can start to heal and recover.

But on the other hand some people have gone, whatever, not really admitted it was a long term problem and some have followed a program to keep the law, loved ones happy and luckily "got it" along the way.
I worry about scaring newcomers away but I worry more if I don't share my experience honestly.
caiHong