Notices

Hanging up my best drinking jacket for good

Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hanging up my best drinking jacket for good

Hi everyone

Lots of great stories here and amazing support, So I thought I would chime in

I'm younger than most here but far from inexperienced, I have been into drink and drugs since i was 12 years old

I have never thought about going tee total until a few days ago

Recently, I went on a week-long bender, fueled by alcohol and drug use.

I also invest heavily in the stock market

Getting clearer now isnt it?

Well as I was jollying it up I had ignored all the news and warning signs that was clearly pointing towards an economic disaster. Long story short I have lost over $40,000 because of my stupitidy in the last 2 weeks

I have done worse before, I have even destroyed my car while intoxicated - Which should have been the sign to stop there and then but as usual, a good drink sorted out that problem!

So I think it's time to finally grow up and take charge of my problem.

I've read a lot about anxiety issues when coming off, I do think this might be particularly hard for me as one of the main reasons I would turn to drink is a mild case of social anxiety - Though, thinking about it, I never used to be like that - Perhaps severe hangovers caused that, thus driving me to drink?

Well, Thanks for letting me vent my problems, Even if no one reads or responds, This was strangeley helpful, Sorry if it is all jumbled, I am nursing one hell of a hangover

Good luck to everyone else out there

EDIT:

Just wanted to add that it's not the loss of money thats driven me here, it's the constant selfishness, uncaring, who gives a monkeys attitude that seems to have become my personality these past few years, where I've been drinking almost every day
Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi JJB! Just joined up myself seems like a nice place so far. Good luck to you too!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Easy!

I just read your post and with regards to giving up the ciggarettes, I would say take your time with that one.

I'm not sure if you feel the same as I do but if I have a very, very bad hangover, ciggarettes are the last things on my mind, so I was less likeley to smoke until I was sober

I don't know about you but If I had to give up two very different, yet addictive and enjoyable substances at the same time, I would crack and you will see me naked in a tree puffing on a cigar with a bottle of whisky in my hand
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

welcome JJ and Easyrider!

SR is a great place. I am new as well but have really started to rely on this site for strength.

day 3 for me. Only one other sober weekend in a long long time so this is important.

Have a good sober weekend.

Ken
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's funny coz it's true JJB. Decided to concentrate just on the booze for now.
SR has really been brilliant for me so far. Thanks weasel, just made me realise I don't think I've ever had a sober weekend in my entire adult life. Scary but...sobering! haha
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My biggest fear is not being able to enjoy myself. It may sound silly but I used to be the most miserable person at any social gathering if i couldn't have a drink

Like you say it's the weekend, and I am having a sober one, Though all my friends are gathering I just cant go and not drink - Most of which are not heavy drinkers either.

Without a drink I cannot relax and I seem to have mountains of energy where I need to be doing something

I also used to despise going out for food, why eat when you can drink eh?

I guess I need a complete change of thought patterns, but I guess that is all to come
Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love going out for meals. Usually coz it meant getting wankered straight afterwards! Yes different thought processes need to be implemented methinks! All to come I suppose.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJBrizzle View Post
I guess I need a complete change of thought patterns, but I guess that is all to come
That's the key right there...You can do anything you want...And have fun doing it. You just have to change the way you think. Welcome to all of you. Well...Not you weasle....You're an old timer already.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I happen to be going to dinner tonight in NYC... and who textes me but good friends that happen to be in the city to celebrate their one year anniversary. and right in Chelsea where I am going. It is really tough right now to tell them no when it makes it obvious that I am ditching them...

But you know what?

No one is going to be sober for me. No one is going to deal with my liver issues. So I drink for no one.

There are other friends.

Sapling... Really? I think that's a compliment.... hmmm....
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you Ken. Nothing changes...Nothing changes.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Wonderful thread, lotsa good stuff. I remember well when I used to face the same issues mentioned here.

JJB, I really like your edit. Money comes and goes, but you know what your problems are.

Hang in there, folks. Don't drink, no matter what. If you come up with a good reason to have a drink, e-mail me and tell me what it is. I'll go with you and I'll buy the first round.

My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome JJ. It's great you are realizing at a young age that alcohol is damaging you. I kept drinking until I didn't even recognize myself & had no clue what I wanted from life. Seeing the danger signs early on is rare - and I'm glad you're aware.

I found that sharing my feelings here - among people who really understood - lessened my anxiety a lot. You said it was helpful to share your thoughts, and I'm glad! Sorry about your hangover, but that never has to happen again.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JJBrizzle

D
Old 05-19-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi JJ,
I used to work at a brokerage so I know about losing money in the market. Look at this way, that's 40k less to spend on booze! I ended up declaring bankruptcy. I did trades on margin (borrowed money) often while drunk. Anyway, I am sober now and I would trade no amount of money for that...
Old 05-20-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by JJBrizzle View Post
My biggest fear is not being able to enjoy myself.
I used to believe that. Now I am 12 months sober I have found the opposite. I am lighter, freer and enjoy life more than I have since I was a kid.

The other thing is I used to drink to relieve stress. Now stress bothers me no where near as much as it used to. I am more resilient.

If I had not experienced this relief I would not have believed it possible.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with you, instant. It's insane that the very thing we're using to calm ourselves down is the thing that ends up making us disoriented, paranoid, and stressed beyond belief.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. :ghug3 You've come to a good place for support and experience. Good for you for hanging up your drinking jacket for good. Life really is better sober.