Notices

Adopting Early In Sobriety

Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adopting Early In Sobriety

Hey Guys,

Some of you may know that I recently lost my love - my 15 year old kitty - Sky at the end of February which prompted a 2 week bender - morning, noon and night.

Since drinking I isolated myself completely and lost quite a few friends in the process so I feel like at times I have no one to turn to and I really enjoyed having a companion in my pet that would be there no matter what.
I know that I have my boyfriend but right now he is working (and I am not) but even when I get a job he works longer hours then I do.
I am also in a living situation that I am not too fond of but can't really do anything about it because financially it isn't possible at the present time.

Anyways...
I have been thinking more and more about adopting another furbaby and was wondering what everyone's opinion is on adopting so early in sobriety.
Maybe it will help me along?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I might adopt a dog - this way I can walk him/her. Or maybe a cat.
Not 100% sure yet.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you are prepared to handle the responsibility of pet ownership at this time, I think it is a great idea. Some of us feel we owe a lot of our sobriety to our loving furbabies. Not only do they help us, we get a good feeling by helping another sweet innocent animal who is totally dependent upon us. I say go for it!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get one that doesn't drink and you should be alright. That's my dog there....He approves of the idea.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My two dogs are my rock. I stay sober to care for them as they deserve and need. I agree with Suki: if you are ready to handle the responsibility of pet ownership, go for it. That way you're rescuing a homeless animal and giving yourself another reason to stay sober. It works for me.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a wiener dog and I love her with all of my heart. She loves to cuddle but she is brave. She is a great guard dog and loves to play, run, and walk. She keeps me busy when I want to think about picking up that bottle.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you're not going to drink again it's a wonderful idea. But will you go on another bender when you outlive your next pet? Just a thought...
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think a little kitty-boy is a purrfect new friend. it will give you something to look forward to.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

I couldn't respond quickly enough!! It's a big fat YES from me!! Personally, I don't think it matters whether it's a cat or dog. I have 2 cats and 1 dog and they all delight me in their own unique ways....( and Sapling is right....it's best if they are sober as well

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My cats were with me when I drank and when I got sober. They never judged me and they are always there. However I beleive they love me more sober than drunk. My oldest cat sally would always snug up oin me and sleep right there huggign me when I was drunk. I beleive she really worried about me and is very happy I am sober now. I could not live without my kitties
Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. I am going to ponder this a bit more and I know he or she will help me stay sober.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

One more suggestion bayliss.....why don't you go to a shelter that has both cats and dogs and see which strikes your fancy. Walk around, hold and pet several of each one. I can promise you one of them will whisper in your ear, "I'm the one". And then you'll know.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Sounds like a good idea to me Bayliss. Pets help with loneliness which I'm sure is a trigger for so many alcoholics...
Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I am an animal lover myself So I suggest both! Cats are pretty easy to take care of, and dogs are great for walking/running and having fun!

I would search craigslist for both. I got my 1 year old chocolate lab on craigslist. He was up to date on shots, housebroken and was FREE. Same with my cat.

Local shelters alot of times charge like $180 just for a pet. I have found that craigslist (majority of the time) will have the pets for free or really cheap ( under 50 bucks) with the added pleasure of being housebroken and up to date on their shots.

Good Luck
Old 05-20-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heck yes! Why don't you get one of each?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I love animals, love pets. But I think it's always best to ask ourselves why, as Bayliss is, we are getting a pet and if it's wise.

I mean, people DO get addicted to pets and collecting them, sometimes to the detriment of the animals, and the people's families etc.

Taking care of something else, fussing over it, etc, can indeed be a way of getting out of my own head, my own self centeredness and an impetus to get out of the house etc. But it can also be another means of ignoring my real issues, avoiding friends,family, therapy and distracting myself from the things I need to be focusing on.

Some people with compulsion issues use a new pet as an excuse to shop to excess etc.

I am not making accusations here towards Bayliss's intentions, but I think it's important to acknowledge that getting a pet is not always a noble or healthy thing, nor a sign or help towards recovery.

It can be mighty tempting to fall into the "my dog loves me no matter what and I don't need to deal with the big bad world" state of mind.

If we can be fairly certain we can use a pet relationship as a step towards recovery rather than a twisted codependent thing...then by all means go for it, but I think it is important to analyze our motives honestly.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
Threshold - no worries. I am a compulsive person for sure but I have been thinking of adopting another animal for quite a while now. Not just because of sobriety. I do understand exactly what you're saying though.

I just want another companion.
Yes to fuss over and focus on other then feeling lonely and thinking of booze.

Not sure what else to say here but thank you to everyone for their opinions and advice.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great idea!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

bayliss, I think having a pet is a wonderful idea. Sadly my landlord doesn't allow them or else I'd have a dog.

However, I want to point out a few things that you wrote above, which concerns me.

(and I am not)
I am also in a living situation that I am not too fond of but can't really do anything about it because financially it isn't possible at the present time.
I really don't know how to say this, and I'm going to say it with my heart because I really do mean it but I'm not trying to attack you.

If you do not have a job and are having financial problems, I wouldn't bring a pet into your life until you can take full care of it by providing everything it needs. Let's face it - Pet ownership costs money. What happens if the pet needs an emergency vet visit? How are you going to pay for it? Normal vet bills add up too and then the possible addition of pet medication.

If you're not happy with your situation, I would improve that first.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

let us know how you are doing too.