Notices

so grateful for sobriety!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

so grateful for sobriety!

I am 72 days sober today and i am so happy at how sobriety keeps surprising me. I keep finding that there are so many things i can do now that i'd missed out on when i'd been drinking. I find myself thinking "was life all around me this fun and i was really just too drunk to participate?" I went out to a show last night with my husband that i really wanted to see and in the past i would have been too drunk to have ever gotten it together enough to leave the house. Tomorrow night i'm going to a Ted Allen (of Food Network fame) at a book signing just 30 minutes away. This too would have been a seemingly impossible task. So many things...even walking around the cute downtown area of a city not far from here...so many things i missed out on..i feel a twinge of sadness thinking of the years, the YEARS, i spent passed out and hung over and sloppy drunk when i could have been enjoying the simple (and slightly more complex) joys of life. Now, all i know is that i owe it to myself to live the life i wanted to live. The life i want to live. Not the sad, self pitying, remorseful, lonely life of the active alcoholic but the joyful, active, embracing life of the alcoholic in recovery. Because of alcohol, my life will never be the same. Because of sobriety, my life will never be the same. And i'm excited.

For all of you struggling right now, scared, lonely, afraid, lost...know that we have all been there. We are there from time to time. There is hope. Have faith. Give yourself fully over to the effort of recovery. Practice it every day. Even when it hurts and all you want to do is drink, narrow your vision to the next sober second, the next sober minute then the next. Remember that you are more than that drink and the pain of fighting down that urge to drink is nothing compared to the pain of drinking. Because when you turn down the drink, the pain will fade. When you drink, the pain brings it's friends. Self pity and remorse. And remember that we're here. Many of us have done it and so can you.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post Grits...Love it!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Great post! Thanks so much for sharing. I am 17 days clean and so far enjoying it. Went on a date with my husband for the first time in quite a while. Nice dinner and then for ice cream.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's so good to hear aeo...You both are doing great!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great, post,.DG! Ditto all around!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I love your signature, Eternal.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff DG

D
Old 05-18-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love this post, all so very true. I'm 6 weeks sober and I can't begin to explain how good it feels to wake up on a Saturday morning free from anxiety.
I'm heading off to town to do some shopping this morning, then some friends are cooking me lunch as its my birthday next week. I feel so content right now. Every day brings its own challenges, but I just know that this is the life I want.
Keep going everyone, it really is worth it x
Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It was a post like this that got my attention when I came here, Great post.
I too am so grateful for sobriety, what a gift!