Notices

57 Days

Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

57 Days

I am 57 days into my sobriety after my relapse and have actually been doing really well for the most part. However, my husband and I are going out to dinner with another couple tonight, and I haven't gotten out except for going to meetings and recovery related activities. I'm really nervous. These people were my biggest drinking buddies. They know I'm sober and are very understanding, but I know they, along with my husband, will be drinking at dinner tonight. I would not go, but I have begged off on so many social activities in my sobriety out of fear and it is affecting my marriage. Ideally I would go, enjoy myself and stay confident and strong in my sobriety. I guess I could just use some encouragement or pointers on how to make the best of this situation if at all possible? Thank you in advance for all your help! I'm almost at 60 days and I really do want this sobriety thing more than anything
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You only have to do two things Eliasson...Ask your Higher Power for strength and don't drink the first one. You'll be fine...Congrats on 57 days...Don't give it up.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could you possibly drive separately? That way you can leave if you need to. I agree with Sapling, don't drink the first one.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can enjoy the evening, but leaving early if you felt uncomfortable, might be a good option.

Congratulations on your 57 days! Good for you!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 57 days Eliasson!

It's good that you're nervous, it's when we're complacent that slips happen.

It's not nice being around people drinking when you're not comfortable with it. But it will get better as you get more confidence. Drinking lots of soda water will help keep the thirst away, maybe grit your teeth a bit

You can do this!

Let us know how you get on xxx
Old 05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree it's good in a way that you're nervous - you'll be on your guard.
You can do this Eliasson

D
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Eliasson.

You have stayed sober for fifty seven days! don't ruin it!.You said your friends and husband know you do not drink now. Believe in yourself and remember that your first priority over everything is not to drink, remember that you are amongst people that love you (husband) and respect you (friends), You are in good company and ther is no reason to drink. Think higher and change your perspective and reasoning
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm back home and I made it thru without drinking! I prayed first, ordered tea, and brought my own car just in case. It wasn't too bad, but I DID leave early as they started stepping up their drinking after the food was gone. It made me sad to leave my husband there but I did the right thing and kept my sobriety my priority! Yay! So grateful for my sobriety and my SR family!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Baby steps Eliasson....You did great....Gained a little faith and a little strength in the same night. Nice job.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome!

D
Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so happy to read that you are doing well! You helped me a lot when I started out last August - much appreciated.

You sound good. Stay strong! Congratulations.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
Thank you! I'm back home and I made it thru without drinking! I prayed first, ordered tea, and brought my own car just in case. It wasn't too bad, but I DID leave early as they started stepping up their drinking after the food was gone. It made me sad to leave my husband there but I did the right thing and kept my sobriety my priority! Yay! So grateful for my sobriety and my SR family!
Good goin'
I dodged a couple events like that myself. I went, it was cool, started to get a little hot under the collar, and I left. ......then it started to occur to me, I better get this "recoverED" deal or maybe one of the days something like this will take me down.

Keep working on going through the steps.....follow that path.......and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Way to go! You should be very proud of yourself!