Welcome easyrider and welcome back waterwoman

D
Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm calling shotgun on this thread
Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Having awful anxiety on day 1.

Alternating between wanting to cry and scream (and doing a bit of both!). I know it is at its worst for about 5 sober days and then fades. Its second worst is every day after drinking and it is actually minimal when I have been alcohol and caffeine free for a week or more. (Oh now there's a reason not to drink!)

Taking dogs for a walk now...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello to all on this Friday night!

WaterWoman, what I am finding from my sobriety (this is 15 days today) from each time I quit is there is a predictable path of these symptoms of withdrawal/etc. that seem to abate with time. I know it is easy to say it, with you feeling you are "only on day one", but the key really is time. This is all about the process, process, and process....hang tight!

My wife and I are having my sister over and my brother-in-law and they are bringing their 2 kids over. We always have a nice time with them. Both of them are light drinkers and I have made it clear to my wife that I am TOTALLY OK with her having her 2-3 glasses of wine with her sister. It is not about me, it is about them. My wife really feels she should just absolutely have nothing because I am, and I just do not agree with that. None of them has a problem. My brother-in-law does not either. He may have 3 beers tonight, tops. I am not concerned in the least because of me, and would feel more uncomfortable if they stopped the way the world revolved for me...so we will have a fun time. I am manning the grill and all will go smoothly. The only difference is I won't have 7 beers to everyone else's 2 or three...that is all.

I hope everyone has a great night and weekend. This was a hard week for me and I am so glad that it is over!! Just rough at work and ready for some well-deserved down time.

Everyone keep it up!!!!
lee
Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have fun Leemzer...Sounds like a good time.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterWoman View Post
Having awful anxiety on day 1.

Alternating between wanting to cry and scream (and doing a bit of both!). I know it is at its worst for about 5 sober days and then fades. Its second worst is every day after drinking and it is actually minimal when I have been alcohol and caffeine free for a week or more. (Oh now there's a reason not to drink!)

Taking dogs for a walk now...
What happened waterwoman? We can all sympathize and certainly learn from you! Glad to see you came back!

Just an FYI...between August of last year and May 1 of this month, I had 22 "OFFICIAL" Day 1s. This is the longest I've gone without drinking since August--18 whole days. I could never go more than 5 days sober..6 a couple of times. SR has made ALL the difference in the world to me.

I had 22 Day 1s because I tried the same thing over and over and over again. This time, I'm accountable to SR, and I'm feeling WAY more accountable to myself. Eating right, planning for situations that might be triggers every day, being thankful and expressing it, doing my darndest to live honestly, speak honestly, and be positive.

Stick with SR, look around you for some new tools...get on Amazon and order some sobriety books and devour them. Find a support group. If you have Netflix, watch every single episode of "Intervention." And by all means if you haven't told your doctor yet, make an appointment. My doc (obgyn, actually, who I am COMPLETELY honest with) referred me to a female psychiatrist that I LOVE who, I kid you not, saved my life. SHe made me realize the seriousness of what I was doing to myself, diagnosed me with depression/anxiety/adhd (this took a few visits and formal testing....she didn't diagnose me on the spot!) and got me started on anxiety/depress/adhd meds AND prescribed Campral, which is prescribed typically for folks who have made the conscious decision to stop drinking and truly want to get sober. It's not one of those "if you have one drink, you puke your brains out" drugs, it works on the neurons in your brain...something about receptors and aiding in the brain healing itself from alcohol...helps speed up/avoid PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome....the funky,foggy stuff your brain does in the months after early sobriety). And it doesn't "help you quit" drinking, but I think it helps keep me from going back. The one drawback is that it is expensive, even with my generous insurance/drug plan.

Either way, grab hold of every resource out there you can! And keep us posted.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's me bk too. had rough week greivin the monsters funeral but hey let the fuker rest in peace. Am feelin better now one week on. Start to concentrate on things that matter to me. Peace on your Friday night n have a gd weekend ..
Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for last night. I'm feeling a little better and the smoke is clearing out some. So tomorrow will be 1 week for me
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope everyone has a safe sober Friday night and a great wake up on Saturday morning with NO GUILT and NO HANGOVER!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Friday evening, Class of May boaters. A big welcome to all new joiners.

What the...? I remember logging on this morning giving Thanks tags to all of you terrific Class of May buddies. Logged in again this evening for a leisurely drive down Highway SR and then, whoa!!! Lane changed to Part 2! Way to go to keep this construction project running full steam ahead, everybody. This class is awesome.

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
I'm calling shotgun on this thread
Dang it, Deserto. There oughta be a law.

More rhymes for you, seahorse:
Gettin' my kicks on sober Day 6.
Sobriety begets no regrets.

Here's looking at a sober Saturday. We can do it.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by flickedhisbic View Post
Thanks everyone for last night. I'm feeling a little better and the smoke is clearing out some. So tomorrow will be 1 week for me
Excellent job, Flicked. I admire you so much for reaching out for help and then overcoming the urge. Absolutely wonderful.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
Gettin' my kicks on sober Day 6.
Sobriety begets no regrets.

Here's looking at a sober Saturday. We can do it.
Sounds like you made it home Friday w/o stopping for a drink...good one FP! You are halfway through the trying time for you!

Got your plans A,B,C all lined up for Saturday so that you'll have the week?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well day seven is now notched into the belt.

Got a bunch of work done on a project that I've been avoiding; cooked a nice meal; took the dog to the beach (all of that in reverse order). The house is a bit wrecked -- but I'm not

Going to watch a little TV and head to bed. G'night all.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, I'm home from work and have now crossed the 1 week marker. I am so happy. We are actually doing this!

We have serious power together.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
Well, I'm home from work and have now crossed the 1 week marker. I am so happy. We are actually doing this!

We have serious power together.
Woo-hoo hitrock! may you find significantly less anxiety, craving and emotional upheaval in the next 7! seems to me like getting over the "First Week" is a big shot of mental muscle--it does such great things for your confidence and really bolsters your inner strength and resolve.

Sleep well and start rocking day 8!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Woke up early on a nice sober free Saturday, went to the shops and bought some bread. Something that would have no chance if i had been drinking.

Day 13
Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Fdm

Well crap. I stopped by the bar and 2 beers after work yesterday. Halfway through the first one, I realized that I was a fish out of water. Drunks to the left of me and to the right of me cursing like sailors and telling each other how much smarter they were than lawyers because they were going to beat drug and DUI charges.

I even saw a guy with a motorcycle helmet on the bar next to him who was slurring his speech. I hope he made it home ok.

I'm not beating myself up today. It's just part of my journey. I'll call this a stumble, and seeing as how I dont really count my sober days, I'll just pick up where I left off and go.

Now bring out the wet noodles.;-)
Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

why'd you stop by the bar Fdm?

D
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
why'd you stop by the bar Fdm?

D
I dont know. I actually never have. It's a friend of mines bar. Sometimes I just do. The experience last night was an eye opener. I don't want to ever be those guys.