Notices

Alcohol and your passions

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and your passions

I'm now into day 29 of giving up alcohol permanently. One thing that I've really noticed is that my passion and excitement for my interests has increased tenfold.

During my 20's (I'm now 30) it felt like alcohol fueled my passions, music seemed better, movies were more interesting, etc. Then I would sober up and feel like I was stuck in the doldrums until the next time I was intoxicated. Being sober I didnt enjoy music, sports were less exciting, etc.

Lately I've found myself getting excited about everything that I used to think alcohol made better. The feeling is infinitely better and the best part - it doesnt go away

No more riding the roller coaster of being sober and intoxicated.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow 29 days is awesome, well done wings! Reading your post has made me realise I have no hobbies other than getting hammered! I used to play guitar and had a keen interest in astronomy and oh oh football, If I could do that it would be brilliant. Exciting times I look forward to being where you are in a months time It will be interesting to see if I'm the same! Again congrats!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, and congratulations on 29 days sober!

I also was surprised and thrilled to get back to doing things I had loved before I started drinking.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am still very new. Day 2 . Never stopped longer than 10 days. I know I have lost all interest in things. I find little motivation to do anything. I know that will change but I need to be sober for a while first.

I'm happy for you that you are experiencing this new revival. Enjoy!

Ken
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I am still very new. Day 2 . Never stopped longer than 10 days. I know I have lost all interest in things. I find little motivation to do anything. I know that will change but I need to be sober for a while first.

I'm happy for you that you are experiencing this new revival. Enjoy!

Ken
Hi Ken,

I think once the clouds clear for you that you will experience something similar. I truly feel that once alcohol became my interest, everything else was pushed to the side. It took me a bit to get out of the fog and personally it was more mental than anything. In the past I had made the decision to give up alcohol for 30 days but not much changed for me mentally. Once I decided that I was done for good, the fog lifted and I realized it was time to get back to real life.

We all go through our own journey and I hope you find what works best for you. Try to remember what you did before alcohol and give a shot sober, you might find it more enjoyable
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I so relate to this - I hope to be evolving away from the boring part. I watched something last night, sober, and it was really funny and I enjoyed it. Congrats on being where you are right now! Inspiring.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Wings..I agree, I'm on day 49 and I feel the same way. I have a lot more interests and hobbies now...I feel like I am beginning my journey to my NEW LIFE
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

I'm a much better musician now that I'm sober. No comparison actually.