Notices

Had a breakthrough.....now dealing with depression

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a breakthrough.....now dealing with depression

Last night was enlightening to say the least.

I went to my first outpatient treatment session and felt so incredible during it. It was like I had found my home. I didn't want the 3 hours to end.

On my way home at 8pm I was hit with a HUGE craving. I was VERY close to getting a bottle of rum and vodka. I however used a tool I had just learned. I focused on my thoughts......why did I want to drink? All I could come up with is that I was bored and lonely. So instead of grabbing a bottle, I called my best friend who thankfully was able to come over. So last night was a success, but I'm afraid of the next time that happens.....what if I can't find someone?

In any event, I woke up this morning sober (10 days now) and am suddenly feeling extremely depressed. While I am a drunk and have had massive social anxiety issues since childhood, one thing I have never dealt with is depression. I'm laying in bed, it's 11am, my dog is snoring next to me, and I'm contemplating staying in bed all day. That is not like me at all. I know I should get up and GET OUT of the house...it's beautiful out today. I really don't like this feeling at all.

I do have an AA meeting to look forward to at 6pm, and I have figure skating practice tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon. I'm starting to think I need to keep myself scheduled at all times. Boredom and being alone are really my triggers.

Ugh.....I hate these cravings......not having a huge one now, but I can still feel the one from last night........

Just another day......just keep swimming :-)

Donnylutz
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the first things my sponsor suggested to me was I should get a routine for myself...The only routine I had was 24 hour drinking. I set up what meetings I would go to...Set time aside to study the big book...That is the directions for the steps...Time for myself....Time for exercise...Time to get things done....Even time to just pray and meditate. This helped me a lot as I could focus on things besides drinking. Getting sober is a new way of life...It helps to have some direction to follow.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be that as time goes by in your recovery, the depression will lift, if it's a result of the alcohol. If it doesn't go away, you might think about talking to your dr about it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with Anna about getting help for depression if it doesn't get better. It could also be that you're going through what a lot of us go through after we stop drinking, a feeling of being tired and unmotivated. Try to be patient with yourself and look at it as a part of the healing process.

I found that good nutrition (and vitamin B complex) helped my energy level and mood. It's like training for a marathon - you do what you can today and keep your eye on the goal and each day you get better and stronger. :ghug3
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not get up and attend a 7 am meeting? Noon meeting? Make it a 3 meeting a day thing and start to meet people. This way you'll have a ton of friends in recovery you can hang out with. Search: aa city state

Best wishes,
Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
Boredom and being alone are really my triggers.
I agree...If these are your triggers...That's not a bad way to avoid them.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, nice work having such a great session and then putting what you learned into practice.

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
So last night was a success, but I'm afraid of the next time that happens.....what if I can't find someone?
If you can't find someone, then you should come to this website because someone will always be here!