Notices

Something to think about....really think about...

Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something to think about....really think about...

I am really liking this new book so far - it is so interesting.

"Buddha's Brain - The Practical Neuroscience of Hapiness, Love & Wisdom" by Rick Hanson, Ph.D. with Richard Mendius, MD.

Wondering what you guys thought of the following...

"Anything less than a contemplative perspective on life is an almost certain program for unhappiness." - Father Thomas Keating.

"The history of science is rich in the example of the fruitfulness of bringing two sets of techniques, two sets of ideas, developed in separate contexts for the pursuit of new truth, into touch with one another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

"The root of compassion is compassion for oneself." - Pema Chodron.

"Ultimately, happiness comes down to choosing between the discomfort of becoming aware of your mental afflictions and the discomfort of being ruled by them." - Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche.

And last but not least...

"If getting upset about something unpleasant is like being bitten by a snake, grasping for what's pleasant is like grabbing the snake's tail; sooner or later, it will still bite you." - Thai meditation master Ajahn Chah.

I am particularly interested what you guys thing of the last one.

Hope it made you THINK instead of just thinking about booze.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Whatever helps you, Bayliss. If it moves you, its good.

Pulling for you, honey. Do whatever it takes. Go to any lengths. We've got your back.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Desertsong.

It does move me.
First book I have read where I'm like, "Wow!".

Just wondering what other people thought of these quotes.

Hope you're doing well!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wisdom

"If getting upset about something unpleasant is like being bitten by a snake, grasping for what's pleasant is like grabbing the snake's tail; sooner or later, it will still bite you." - Thai meditation master Ajahn Chah.

I'm glad you recognized this as the most important quote. It surely is.
I highly recommend that you do further research into eastern philosophy, yoga, and buddhism. I'm reading a book called 'the inner tradition of yoga' by michael stone and it's really good. Yoga is infinitely deeper than just postures. I recommend that you get yourself a book because information this valuable really can't be learned well from the internet.

What this quote is getting at is the fact that even attachment to happiness is suffering. All attachment is suffering. Life is like a rope in motion, if you hold onto it you will only get burned. All things are impermanent, therefore attaching 'yourself' to impermanent things causes suffering. Even attachment to the idea of 'self' causes suffering. Attachment to the idea of unattachment causes suffering. Try to wrap your head around that!

These are very difficult concepts to grasp but for the mind who is ready they become obvious truths. Once this seed has been planted it will grow under the right conditions like it has inside of me. Every time I read spiritual texts from the powerful philosophies originating in india and tibet I am just blown away

to make this relevant to staying sober, the desire to use drugs is only a feeling. you can just observe it without being attached to it. you can say, look, there is this feeling of desire inside my head. look at that. instead of saying, I have this desire. You are not defined by your thoughts, no, these are transient just like everything else. Your true self exists far away, unchanging, and crystal clear. It can observe these feelings of desire and also watch as they disappear.

Best wishes to you on your journey, friend. pm me if you want help finding more information.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you like the quotes you posted, you might be interested in the books by Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hahn. His writings changed my life.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mandala12....Welcome...
Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I find it fascinating that people with alcohol problems are often drawn to spirituality when they seek to find another way. It's quite healthy. You, in this regard, no less than the founder of AA Bill Wilson. Bill wrote to Carl Jung (the founder of analytic psychology) in 1961. Jung wrote back immediately and has some fascinating things to say about what is at the core of alcoholism. Here is the link to a copy of the letter. I think you might find it interesting. Dr. Carl Jung's Letter To Bill W., Jan 30, 1961