Notices

My weight gain is getting me down

Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My weight gain is getting me down

Hi All,

Day 47 here (I think) and my appetite has increased tenfold. I used to eat small amounts so that the alcohol would affect me quicker - now I eat a lot!! Any suggestions? I don't want to be fat and I don't want to be an alcoholic, is there a way I can be neither? I must be a really self indulgent person.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi my friend xx.
Think I've put on a bit of weight too, but I've been craving sugar and eating vast amounts of chocolate. I'm sure the sugar rush is responsible for some of my mood swings too!
Over the past couple of days I've replaced chocolate with fruit. Boring I know. I also eat smaller meals but more regularly so I don't pick in between.
This weekend I'm going swimming on Sunday morning, and I'm contemplating buying a bike....if you knew me you'd laugh, I'm THE laziest person in the world and allergic to getting out of breath!
Luckily my job keeps me fairly slim as I'm constantly racing around and don't sit all day, but I always notice the weight creep on during the school holidays.
I'm thinking swimming and cycling sound healthy but can do them lying or sitting down!!
We're doing great with the sobriety hey! 47 days? Hadn't worked that out, that sounds rather fantastic!!!!!xxx
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

In my 2.5 times in rehab.... Yes I know.... They did so much for me... We learned about transferring our addictions. It is very normal so don't beat yourself up.

You may want to be extra aware and work at controlling those things that filling the void.

For me it was monster drinks. I stopped them. Now I need to focus on the drinking.

Best to you.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean on the self indulgent front Epskie! I have been eating really well too, and the chocolate intake is a worry. I plan to give that up soon...honest. I'm still not feeling great so I'm trying to do that 'eat a little less, exercise a little more' thing. Stupid stuff like getting off the bus a few stops early, walking to a supermarket further away...

Don't beat yourself up about it though...47 days is a big enough achievement! x
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by epskie View Post
Hi All,

Day 47 here (I think) and my appetite has increased tenfold. I used to eat small amounts so that the alcohol would affect me quicker - now I eat a lot!! Any suggestions? I don't want to be fat and I don't want to be an alcoholic, is there a way I can be neither? I must be a really self indulgent person.
epskie, I worked with a great tradesman in the 1960's who was from Newcastle. I am having fun reading your posts and trying to inject the Geordie sound to it !!

Take it one thing at a time, it will all work out in the end. Recovery isn't an exact science. Congrats on 47 days !!

All the best.

Bob R in the colonies
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I need to say no to myself once in a while, haha. I've cream is my downfall. Luckily my friend is a personal trainer and he's going to help me with a diet plan. I know Jeni, 47 days eh??? Proud of us xx as always great advice from all of you xx

Why aye man Bob me owld marra! You get a canny bag o' chips up the toon man! Haway the lads!
My accent is very Cheryl cole, are you aware of her over there??? It's very classy
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once I stopped drinking man I had the weirdest cravings. I too started gaining weight but I decided to start watching what I eat and start working out. Stopping drinking and going on a diet at the same time is extremely tough I'm not gonna lie. But if it comes down to it your sobriety is key, satisfy your cravings for now, once you get more comfortable you can go on a diet, it's a lot easier when you have more sober days behind you. Best of luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

epskie, I weighed 175 - 180 pounds before I quit drinking. After I quit drinking, I started going on walks at the local lake and park. I also, a few months down the road, completely changed my diet. I drink coconut milk and eat tofu and all that stuff, but I do still eat meat. I weigh 155 pounds now, but it took some dedication to stay on my diet. Plus I have a physical job, which is probably shredding my weight. The weight I'm at right now is where I wanna stay at.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have only quit for 5 days and I can tell I am gaining weight. So what. I have plenty of time to work on my weight but was running out of time to get sober. You are my hero for making it to 47 days, even with a couple extra pounds. I would take them if I could make it that long. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by epskie View Post

Why aye man Bob me owld marra! You get a canny bag o' chips up the toon man! Haway the lads!
My accent is very Cheryl cole, are you aware of her over there??? It's very classy
I bet you're a classy lady yersel ....

Just keep on with your recovery, all will work out down the line.

Best wishes.

Bob R
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I am very upset over my weight gain. Most of it has come since January due to choosing drugs and alcohol over exercise. I have a past of anorexia and bulimia and as an adult it is now more compulsive eating. Now that I am 2 weeks sober and working out again I think in time I will lose the weight. None of my pants fit (I went from a size 6 to a 10) and it makes me feel like crap. I am trying to remember to treat myself gently and not say mean things to myself. Before, I would go clothes shopping, get pissed off, and take a handful of pills. Not very pro-active
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Epskie,
Early I sobriety I really craved sugar and just ate and drank what I felt like, staying sober was more important and I had cravings to drink. My emotions were all over the place.
I didn't want to put anymore pressure on myself by dieting.

At 9 months I had a severe digestion problem, at this stage I was eating cakes and pastries.
I recognized that I was using food to mask feelings, anxiety being the uppermost.
So I went on a raw food diet, thought i would give it a go for 4 weeks over 2 months I am still on it, lost weight feel great. This is the longest I have been on any diet and I plan to keep eating raw food. It may sound extreme to some people. I see it now as part of my healing and recovery.
What helped me to stick to a healthy diet was watching DVDs on diet, interesting one was SIck, tired and nearly Dead, people are literally killing themselves with food. I saw a lot of parallels with drinking.
Forty seven days is great so take it easy don't stress about the weight things will even out in time just don't pick up and keep posting.

CaiHong
I want to stress though, sobriety first, Don't jeopardize that for anything.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Caihong would you mind sending me the details of that diet in a PM please?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I too am piling on the weight, have gone up two sizes in a month. I haven't got the answer either, I'm craving sugar constantly and if I don't eat on time I start to shake.
I'm just waiting for time to pass until I feel able to cut down without feeling rough.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

When I went through rehab I gained at least 45 lbs. I was so bummed. I allowed weight gain in the past to take me back out to lose the weight. Today I am a gratefully recoverying compulsive overeater working the OA program. No longer am I switching addictions! I have been set free from overeating.

Lily
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

epskie, when I got sober I ate like that too. Your body is still craving the sugar that was in the booze. But really I had to choose at that point. Sobriety was critical if I wanted to live. I allowed myself whatever I wanted to eat. Besides, when you've harmed your body with alcohol it really is seeking nutrition from anywhere I think. Once I felt more solidly sober, then I worked on eating better & exercising. I was 178 in March of 2011 and now I am 143-145. It does balance out but you need to be conscious and listen to what your body really is wanting.