Notices

Day 4 Update ;) THIRSTY!!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Day 4 Update ;) THIRSTY!!!!

I posted here before and people were getting on me a bit for trying to detox myself at home, and self-medicating, and I mentioned I called my doc and he would be calling me in Valium. He told me to start tapering down. I did taper for a few days.

The Valium was called in Friday. My boyfriend picked it up Saturday evening when he got home (he was out of town all week) I haven't had a drink since Saturday. So Sunday, I started on the Valium. The script is for 5MG every 4 hours, or as needed.

I did OK Sunday. But had one helluva time sleeping Sunday night.

So the next night I took more. 5 MG about an hour before bed and 10MG right before bed. I slept fine.

I haven't had any night sweats, tremors not too bad at all (very subtle), the Valium doesn't make me feel relaxed at all. It just takes the edge off. I haven't been nauseated and I haven't thrown up. I also don't have that much of an appetite, but I have been eating.

The only other thing I am taking is Ester C, B Complex, and Milk Thistle. No multi-vitamins and no other medication other than the Valium.

BUT WOW am I THIRSTY! I have always been one that needs to have something to drink with me EVERYWHERE I go. I mean I cannot stand to not have a drink with me. I was that way before I started drinking. I guess beer didn't help that, as I drank it like I drink Diet Coke, or anything else. But wow, even though I have always carried a drink around and drank quite often, why am I SOOOOO thirsty???? I cannot find out much when I Google it. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

Other than that, I am doing fine. This is so much easier than I thought it would be, I wish I would have realized it a lot longer ago.

I am trying to drink as much decaf as I can. When I drink caffeine I get worse and VERY hyper.

Anyway, Smooth sailing and to be honest, I have been here by myself a lot and no one has taken my keys, I have a car. I could run out and get beer any time I wanted, but honestly. Even after just these few days, I just don't want any.

Oh, and just to add. I am within normal BMI and, I am not Diabetic.

Anyone know why I am SO thirsty?

-RDY
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol actually dehydrates you. When I detoxed I drank gatorade like crazy. If you're hungry, eat; if you're thirsty, drink. You'll be OK especially with the valium. Once you don't need the valium get off them, benzos are very addictive as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gatorade for me to...They push that in detox/rehab for a reason.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I drank water constantly! I was so thirsty too for about 3 weeks then it slowed down. I was very dehydrated from the alcohol and lack of proper nutrition.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

4 days is fantastic. I mad a commitment on 7-10-2010 to quit alcohol, crack, weed, and cigarettes. I am 1 year 10 months sober and no weed, 7 months and some days no crack and I still smoke cigarettes. What I didn't do is give up on my commitment. I pray you can stop using anything and everything at once, but I couldn't. I am not giving up, and I'm better off than I was when I was using.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Drinking a 6 pack is 72 ounces of fluid (of course with alcohol) and if we don't rehydrate with enough water we get headaches.....

give time time, heal, if you are still really thirsty after 30 days or so in early recovery, you may want to be checked out for diabetes. For now, drink a lot and eat well. Try to get back into a normal 3 meal routine, even if the meals are small. Remember, we are trying to become more normal in recovery, something we fell very short on while drinking.

Stay strong! Congratulations on 4 days!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Luckily the only addiction I have is smoking, and I thought about quitting that at the same time, but I thought it better to focus on one thing at once.

I will try to stay away from the caffeine free Diet Coke and drink more water also.

The Valium is just to help get through the initial withdrawal. I wasn't a benzo addict and I don't plan on switching addiction. Also, the Valium doesn't give me a buzz or anything.

Last night I took only 1 5 MG an hour before I went to bed and I slept fine. Today I will only take one if I start feeling anxious, panicky, shaky, etc... and may try to not take one at all tonight before bed. (or a an hour or 3 before bed) and see what happens.

I have plenty here, and I don't know if at one point I'll feel like I don't need them, and BAM - one day I may feel real bad. This morning I feel like I have a hangover for some reason, and it was the least amount of Valium I took before going to sleep.

I do feel bloated though, but my face isn't bloated looking like it used to be in the morning, but I also don't think all the initial bloat is out of the way. While I am using the bathroom a lot because I am consuming so much liquid, I do think I am retaining some.

Since I have been in contact with my doctor, I will probably schedule and appointment in a few weeks with him (if he, or I feel it's necessary) so he can check me out.

Thanks again for the info... Gatorade is now on my list.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
So the next night I took more.
Just my opinion, your playing with fire.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you ever been tested for diabetes?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not that I really recall, but I have had thorough comprehensive exams almost every year for 5 years. I also used to have my grandfather check my blood sugar for fun when he would do it, and I was always OK. And I have always felt the need to drink a lot of liquid. It's just been even more than usual lately since I quit alcohol. I never really mention to doctors how much I drink. I have just always been that way... It actually weirds me out when people go hours without drinking something.

I could ask my doctor about it.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I always noticed after the withdrawals, and my throat soreness would go down.... there for a few days I'd be eating and drinking water/gatorade like madman.

I always just thought it was my body telling me to start replenishing lost nutrients/water.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmer27 View Post
I always noticed after the withdrawals, and my throat soreness would go down.... there for a few days I'd be eating and drinking water/gatorade like madman.

I always just thought it was my body telling me to start replenishing lost nutrients/water.
I haven't experienced any throat soreness thankfully. I just posted another thread about when it's safe to leave and go to the grocery store. I need some items and would like to get some Gatorade!

Thanks,
-RDY