Notices

kahlua coffee

Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

kahlua coffee

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but this morning, I ordered a coffee drink from an espresso bar, and it had a splash of the kahlua flavored syrup. I asked the barista if there was any alcohol in it, and she said, "oh, no. There's no alcohol in it". So, I drank it.

Yesterday, I celebrated 60 days sober. And it's been years since I've had a kahlua and cream, but just the slight taste of kahlua really triggered me. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it since it wasn't alcohol, but now I realize that things that taste like alcohol are probably not a wise choice either.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

but now I realize that things that taste like alcohol are probably not a wise choice either.
The AA book has a line that reads, ".....safe and protected....."

I read that to mean that we get the OPPORTUNITY to learn about our alcoholism in a "safe" environment... Sometimes we don't apply that knowledge, however, and trouble ensues.

Glad you learned something new today that will help you to guard your sobriety.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what if I am reading too much into what you just said. Do you think I "slipped?". Is this a thing I have to go back to day one for?

I felt a little sad. I went to get coffee. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered something that was "kahlua flavored". I thought I just wanted the taste.

I'm all messed up in the head.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It wasn't alcohol. So I wouldn't restart and go back to day 1. I would not consider this a slip at all. You are just aware of not wanting to drink...
If I had baileys flavored icecream I wouldn't consider that a slip. The alcohol flavor is not there.

This is just my opinion.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Skippy!
I am in jeopardy when I seek out something that is going to alter my emotions. I take asprin for a headache and I do not consider it a "slip". I put vanilla flavored creamer in my coffee- at parties I drink diet coke in a wine glass...I don't know where I am going with this other than only you can say what your motives for doing something is- I am getting to know myself and calling myself out when I am bs'ing myself. If you didn't drink you didn't slip. Get to work on being in "fit spiritual condition". XO
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you learned a lesson Skip
I realize that things that taste like alcohol are probably not a wise choice either.
why not leave it at that?

D
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
I don't know what if I am reading too much into what you just said. Do you think I "slipped?". Is this a thing I have to go back to day one for?
2 words: F-no

you learned something about a slip without actually doing it.... you learned how your body kinda "lights up" when it thinks it's getting booze. You learned that, for now, you need to stay away from alcohol-like things. Some ppl go back out over stuff like that....you're in a position to learn from it, apply that knowledge going forward, and increase the odds of staying sober.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I stay away from "alcohol flavored" things. Even though there is no alcohol in it, the sweet drinks were something that could trigger me.

You did not slip unless you ran out to purchase some real Kahlua at a liquor store and drank it!

Be careful with colognes, mouthwash or other things as some people are sensitive enough that after a few days of using those products, a true craving comes and they actually go out and drink. It is different for every person.

Extracts have about 35% alcohol in them, but most is baked out, just don't go drinking some from the kitchen cabinet, you will get a buzz and that would be a relapse/slip. I know one person who did that and finally had to restart his time (honesty). He also ended up purchasing his drink of choice and was "out there" for a while.

Know your triggers. Each day is a learning experience.

Hugs,
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!! Seriously! Today, I think I realized that I am (maybe) an alcoholic. Even writing it here is super scary. I have not been able to say or write it without the "maybe".

But I know it is NOT normal for people who have a flavored coffee drink to be freaked out and want to drink alcohol. That's not normal thinking. That's alcoholic thinking.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Yeah....like Sugarbear was saying, I had to purposefully switch to an alcohol-free mouth wash after swallowing a little bit of Listerine. That, and the smell of Purell Hand-Sanitizer still triggers me a little bit. Smells like someone just dumped a bottle of cheap vodka on the floor. I used to be like a shark with a drop of blood in the water. There are just certain things we have to be on-guard against, even things we don't really expect.

--Fenris.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OP your thinking too much of it. Going to get yourself in trouble if you keep that thinking process going.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

In my previous sober spells that were usually a prelude to moderation, I used to drink very low alcohol 'beer' type drinks, or lemon lime and bitters. I have now learned it is just easiest to avoid all that sort of stuff. You have learned that this 'reminds' you. What you experienced has provided food for thought, and may decide to choose differently next time.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No I'd save the new date for when you slipped back, better keep on counting your are walking the walk. It's good to be aware it might just be that attention to detail that's going to be your victory shield.
John.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
Today, I think I realized that I am (maybe) an alcoholic.
You just won't let go of that skip....Congrats on your 60 days!!!