Notices

what to do

Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to do

Booze is obviously a big problem for me. However, I am also a daily pot smoker. The weed isn't nearly as harmful as the drinking (for me at least), but I'm definitely concerned about how much I need it. If I don't smoke, I can't sleep. I have way to much anxiety and my brain just refuses to relax enough to sleep. I actually gave up smoking weed for a full year a few years back. I made it the entire year, but it didn't go very well. I wound up replacing it with alcohol and cigarettes. And when I wasn't drinking or smoking - I wasn't able to sleep. It was awful. When I did sleep, it was never a normal deep sleep. I would have these vivid awful dreams - nightmares actually. And I generally never stayed asleep longer than 1 hour. After a year of that, I decided that I wanted to start smoking again. Aside from the damage to my lungs, I didn't think it was a big deal.
Now I don't know what the hell to do. My first priority is quitting drinking and getting sober. But what should I do about the smoking? Should I try giving them both up at the same time? Should I just talk to my doctor about the sleeping problems? I didn't want to stop smoking just to wind up depending on sleeping pills or some other medication. Either way, its a situation and I'm really sick of living this way. I just want to be a sober person who doesn't have to rely on drugs or alcohol just to get through the day/night.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ask your doctor! Does NJ have medical marijuana?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

definitely time to go to the doctor. NJ might have medical marijuana, I'm not sure. But I really think it's time I give it up. I smoke way too much. And since I have that alocholic personality, its not like I can just smoke "moderately". When I smoke weed, I also smoke cigarettes - both bad for my lungs. I know I'm hurting myself. If my doctor thinks medication might help me sleep, I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes giving it all up is a good plan. That being said I would not rule out a doctor's opinion as far as medication goes... there are a lot of "drugs" out there that can help with anxiety and sleeping disorders... your doctor will tell you what's what. He/she most likely knows what will help. Take care!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talking to your dr and being honest with him about your drinking and smoking would be a good start.