LifeRing/smart meeting question

Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

LifeRing/smart meeting question

I've just found out about Life ring. Sounds like something I'd like to explore. Joined the web site and plan on ordering the book. There are no f2f meetings in my area. However, there are a few Smart meetings. Anyone know if they are similar?

thx,
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LifeRing vs. SMART

brdlvr,

I know a lot more about LifeRing than about SMART, but I'll hazard a response -- the two groups share a disdain for the AA approach. Neither has Steps or Sponsors or require a Higher Power. Both reject the idea of powerlessness over addiction. LifeRing focuses on addicts working with other addicts for complete abstinence from all addictive, non-medically-indicated substances by strengthening the "sober self" -- the part of every addict who wants to be clean and sober. SMART's focus is on the psychological concept of REBT (Rational Emotive Behavoiral Therapy) which seeks to change member's thinking and the language they use in their inner dialogue. SMART teaches specific techniques; LifeRing empowers people to find their own path. They are not incompatible.

If you'd like more information about LifeRing write to the email address you'll find on the website and I'll respond.

Craig
Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response. It was helpful to learn which each one was about. I've sent in to request to join the email support group.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

SMART Facilitator here. I had a person very active in Life Ring / SOS in my training class. I've also run into several people that have worked both programs. They are very compatible so you might want to try both and see what you get out of each, or both together.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by PAbookie View Post
the two groups share a disdain for the AA approach.
I haven't noticed that. SMART and LifeRing do have recovery tools and other concepts that differ greatly from **'s program. I'm a LifeRing member that goes to ** for the open meetings alone. Some of the slogans heard in ** meetings are comparable to my recovery approach. I find support where I can get it. LifeRing or SMART suggest the same.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I haven't noticed that. SMART and LifeRing do have recovery tools and other concepts that differ greatly from **'s program. I'm a LifeRing member that goes to ** for the open meetings alone. Some of the slogans heard in ** meetings are comparable to my recovery approach. I find support where I can get it. LifeRing or SMART suggest the same.
Neither have I. In fact quite the opposite. At least on the forums, there used to be quite a few that worked both SMART and a spiritual program.