Confession of an addict

Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confession of an addict

Every once in a while, I check in to my son's Facebook to see if there has been any activity. It's one of my residual codependent things. I want to know if he's alive. He very seldom posts--every few weeks. He doesn't typically have access to the internet as he has no "home". He sleeps on other's couches I guess.

But this morning there was a post. This is what I read:

Man... I'm a piece of ****! I'm so pathetic I kicked a really awesome girl who helped and cared about me on the back of the head! THEN I stole her cell phone and galaxy tablet. I cant believe what a pathetic addict I've become, I don't even know if she's ok. I just stole what I what I could carry while she lay busted head and all on the floor... she loved me, and I hurt her. I don't deserve anything.

I hate addiction. I hate what it does to people.

After reading that, I had to go into my room and pray. I prayed for that young woman. I prayed for my son. My son is a former soccer player. He's a meth addict. He's a physically strong man. I hope and pray that she's ok. He is so very sick. I hope she presses charges and isn't caught in the codependent idea that he's sorry and that everything will be ok.

To all the young women here on SR who are living the fantasy that the addict in their life would never do this to them......I could never imagine that my son could do this.......never. Protect yourselves. Press charges if he hints at violence. Make him face the consequences of his actions.....or it will happen again.....and again. Trust your gut. If you are even slightly afraid, there is a useful purpose to that fear. Take care of you.

I won't let this ruin my day. I guess I'll be prepared if the police show up (again) at my business asking me if I know where he is.

Glad I have a meeting tonight.

A few gentle hugs would be helpful.
ke
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots and lots of hugs, my heart broke for you while I read that. I can't even imagine how you feel.
I know how the girl feels though. I echo your sentiments completely- it only takes one millisecond for things to get crazy and out of hand. My partner told me he would never hurt me and I believed him. Things got progressively more violent until one night he had me against a wall with a knife at my throat while I held our baby. I've never ever felt fear like it. All of the ladies who are in relationships with these unpredictable men, please watch out for red flags. It's terrifying how fast things can go downhill.
Thank you for sharing this KE, I think there is a very important message in there. I'm sorry you're hurting and I will pray for you, your son and this poor young lady.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kindeyes my heart hurts reading this. The pain of knowing your child sufferes is something you can't explain or understand unless you are going through it. I am praying for you and for him and the girl. You are an incredibly strong and wonderful woman and you will get through this part too. Love ang hugs to you.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry, Kind Eyes prayers for you, your son and that girl.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kind Eyes.... I'm so sorry for this pain. Consider yourself well hugged and more coming at ya all day. Addiction turns people into people that they would never have been. I'm seeing it in my own son. No matter how much recovery I have the pain of it is real and always right there. It's impossible to understand.

Thinking about you....
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windmills View Post
Lots and lots of hugs, my heart broke for you while I read that. I can't even imagine how you feel.
I can't imagine either, and I have tears in my eyes from trying. So awful

When my RAD's exabf went to court last month for aggravated assault, his addict mother was there and ended up being warned by the judge. I am grateful you're not like her.

You and your family, that young lady and her family, are all in my prayers. I pray you all are healed and that it begins now.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kindeyes, I know the heartache addiction brings to us and our suffering loved ones. Iam saying prayers for you, him and her along with all the others who are hurting as a reslut of this maddening condition! Pain and suffering, heartache, anger and helplessness are feelings I feel and im sure you do too, however we can let them go and turn to a higher power to grant us serenity even in the middle of a tornado ..... thank God you have a strong recovery and a toolbox full of what you need!

Again sweetie you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ke - hugs and prayers to you. So very sorry for your hurt and amazed by your strength. May I have your strength if I ever face such a day.
b.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just Keep Swimming

Kindeyes, my heart breaks for you. You, your son, and the young woman are all in my prayers.

I'm glad you were able to take a negative situation and turn it into something positive by warning others of the dangers of being in a relationship with an active addict. It's true, the fear is there for a reason. I listened to my fear and got out, and when I read things like this post it strengthens my resolve to stay away. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

KE, my love and prayers and a gentle hug to you. It seems we all go through cycles. Now is a low cycle for me too.
praying for the young lady to see the light. It hurts like He** but it can save her life.
Hugs
Teresa
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

big long hug to you
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Gentle, gentle (((Hugs))) KE

It is so hard to witness our kids actions at times...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Kindeyes)) Many gentle hugs from me to you!!!

Hoping this is a wake up call for many young people out there to be cautious and hopefully a wake up call for your son too!!

Enjoy your meeting today and collect many actual hugs while you are there too....you deserve them!!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are such an inspiration to all the rest of us parents dealing with addicted children. I'm sorry all of us have to deal with the evil that is drug addiction. I told my son that the closest thing to demon possession that the Bible speaks about is drug addiction. It totally consumes and takes over the person--like a demon would.

My son expresses regret for encouraging his former girlfriend to use opiates. She had her own issues to deal with regarding drug abuse before him. He just added opiates to the mix. He's with a new girl now, someone who doesn't even drink alcohol, so we'll see where that leads. I don't think he would encourage her to use drugs--but then what do I know?

We want the best for our children. It's horrible to realize that they are capable of such evil. I hope your son is starting to see the evil his life has become and will seek help.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow. You guys are the best. I feel very well hugged.
Thank you all.
gentle hugs back at you
ke
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I hate what addiction does to our children too.

Big hugs from this mama's heart to yours.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((KE)) - I'm so sorry for your pain. I am including the young lady along with prayers for you and your son. I hate addiciton, I hate the person I was when I was active, but I can' stop hoping your son eventually gets it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Kindeyes- I am often floored by what people will put on Facebook- let alone what an addict might say and why. I understand the temptation to check in on your son and I'm glad you are grounded enough to deal with what you saw.