Notices

A fridge full of cider!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A fridge full of cider!

Well if this isn't a test I don't know what is!!!
After husbands drunken binge over the weekend, he has now packed the fridge full of cider that was left over.
When I say packed, I mean packed, had a hard job finding the butter this morning.
If this wasn't so tragic, it would be funny!!
I'm a recovering alcoholic for F's sake!
Just shaking my head in disbelief and heading off to work!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay strong Jeni x You're doing great x
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

It'll be a good story in time to come!

You can resist.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There will always be tests given to us! Resist & it will make you stronger!

Maybe possible to suggest a different fridge/cooler to store his cider? I would hate to have to stare at it every day! After I relapsed recently, my husband, God love him, cleared the alcohol out that I had bought while I was passed out. A little pissed when I went to look for it the next day, but thankful as well, as i'm wanting sobriety...its just hard.

Maybe in time your hub will understand...in the meantime, stay strong!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That sucks. Is there any way you can tell him not to leave it around? I feel rock solid in my sobriety now at 13 months, but I still can never have alcohol in the house or I will end up drinking it eventually.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's not ideal - but remember you don't drink anymore Jeni
You can do this

D
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Because I consider it to be my own stupid fault that I'm a recovering alkie, I've insisted that no one around me behaves any differently. It's like: carry on as you where, everyone, don't mind me, I'm sitting this one out. Certainly it makes thing harder to see booze in the fridge, but like I say, that's tough cheddar. Got to bite the bullet.

So the fridge full of beer would indeed be a test of my resolve as a drinker, but I'd also be secretly pleased that what is essentially 'my problem' wasn't impacting anyone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I think I'd be annoyed if things did change. Other opinions may vary, of course.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarkstheSpot View Post
Because I consider it to be my own stupid fault that I'm a recovering alkie, I've insisted that no one around me behaves any differently. It's like: carry on as you where, everyone, don't mind me, I'm sitting this one out. Certainly it makes thing harder to see booze in the fridge, but like I say, that's tough cheddar. Got to bite the bullet.

So the fridge full of beer would indeed be a test of my resolve as a drinker, but I'd also be secretly pleased that what is essentially 'my problem' wasn't impacting anyone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I think I'd be annoyed if things did change. Other opinions may vary, of course.
I agree it's my problem....And I could see if I had a spouse that kept a bottle of wine in the fridge I could live with it. But if I had to look at a fridge packed with beer when I got back from work...That wouldn't sit well. I'd expect a little more consideration with that in early recovery...And I'd explain that and see if it could be kept in a cooler somewhere else. It's OK if you want to kill yourself...But give me a chance saving my life.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I posted yesterday on this subject but jstar said what I was going to say.

After I relapsed recently, my husband, God love him, cleared the alcohol out that I had bought while I was passed out.
Your husband is going to have to make some sacrifices if he loves you and respects your decision to quit drinking.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Just a fridge full of my poison. It's just not an option. Stay sober, you deserve it. Maybe talk with hubby and see if he can change some of his behavior to help support you.

I wish you well,
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
There's part of me that suspects its deliberate because he would prefer me to go back to the way I was.
For him, life was simpler and we did have some fun drunk times. We never argued, and he certainly didn't have cause to question his own drinking when for the most part, I was worse than him!
He has conveniently forgotten that I was becoming less and less able to handle it, was p*ssed the whole weekend, shaking, being ill, and never remembered the events of the previous evening. I've ended up in hospital for injuries that occurred falling over and was starting to take days off work.
Well, he may have forgotten, or be choosing to forget, but I haven't.
In a way I'm finding a kind of strength in his actions. He may want me back the way I was, but I'm never going there again. It is making my resolve even stronger.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you...Wouldn't it be nice if he joined you?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh sapling, I wish that more than anything!
Unfortunately, not my call.
I will carry on and one day he may make that decision. I really hope so.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just keep doing what you are doing...You never know.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lead by example Jeni. You are doing great.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just asked him if he could remove the cans, and he just laughed and asked if it would be any better if I came across them in a cupboard! He said it wouldn't matter where they were, if I wanted to drink them I would. Fair point I suppose. He also pointed out that there has been a bottle of red wine in the rack the whole time I've been sober and that hasn't tempted me.
Suppose he's right.
Guess I'm also aware that at some point he will drink them and get drunk, so they are not merely a temptation for me, but also a warning that this weekend will probably not be a great one.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck with your journey. Then good luck with the fridge . These things I know you can make better.
John.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Most of my relapses came about when I went out to a bar to listen to a band with my BF. I have finally decided that I have to give up going to bars and listening to bands. Something which I truly enjoy doing. I cannot handle the temptation. He used to own a night club and has all of his old left over liquor in the hall closet outside of our apartment. After this last binge, he realized I figured a way to jimmy the door open with a butter knife and drink the booze. Needless to say, he put a pad lock on it. I do have a point here. Although he doesn't understand my alcoholism, he is taking steps to keep me away from booze because I cannot have it around me. AT ALL. I hope you have more strength than I do. It would be too hard this early in my recovery not to relapse if there was booze easily accessible. Kudo's for staying strong. Good luck on the weekend.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Bin the cider and tell him to be more supportive. Not cool having the temptation so close.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Whoa, couldn't bin it! That would cause him a major meltdown!!!