Notices

everyday irritations are testing me

Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

everyday irritations are testing me

If i was earlier in my recovery, thesd everyday irritations might just have been the excuses i would need to pick up the bottle and blow my brains out. My husband and i live with roommates and are moving out June 1. The roommates own the house. In the past 2 weeks, our roommates have decided to start fostering greyhounds (we have 4 cats and a 35 year old bird who is scared of dogs) and bring in a new roommate without asking us. The dog howls at night when crated, counter surfs to steal food and my cats have been scared to pass through the house to go downstairs to use the litterbox. Also, we now have to have babygates up throughout the small house which blows for me as i am quite short. Tonight it appears that she is waiting me out and wants me to go to bed first so she can leave the dog out in the living room, uncrated, for the entire evening. That ain't gonna fly. I'm putting my foot down there as she assured me that the dog would be kenneled at night.

The new roommate is someone i barely know which makes it awkward when i want to put on my night clothes at night. I wear yoga pants with my long sleepshirt but now i have to wear my bra until i actually turn in. Not too bad but still awkward. Oh, the roommate doesn't pay rent but we had to make room for his stuff in the garage for his motercycle and despite us moving, we're no longer allowed to put stuff in the garage. And now it's 5 adults in 1 small house. In the past, i would have gladly gotten wrecked to avoid dealing with this. As it is, i'm stuck grinding my teeth, counting down the days and venting here. Thanks for letting me getting it out of my system. June 1 can't get here soon enough.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

big hugs sent to you!

Love,
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks and congrats again, sugarbear. Goodness knows you didn't make it through a year without a few trials and tribulations. I am keeping your amazing achievement in mind!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even though it is everyday stuff as you say, it does sound very ackward and annoying!

Lately, in situations where I am uncomfortable and know I will be for a period of time, I try walking through that amount of time in my head - what I'm going to do each day, for instance, when I know I have a tough week in front of me. I can then see an end to the discomfort and a light at the end of the tunnel. That has helped me see a way out and helps destress me enough to avoid thinking about escaping with drinking.

I'm glad you have an end of the tunnel coming soon!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing you peace and endurance for the next two weeks DG

D
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree, congratulations for hanging in there. I hope you have your own room. Two weeks will pass quickly.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

June's almost here, great job hanging in there!