Notices

7 Days......

Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 Days......

Hello!

One week ago tonight I had just one drink, which led to a night full of drunk texts, emails, voice mails, and risky sexual behavior. The next morning I decided it was time to quit and got in contact with a treatment center.

I've been sober for 7 days, which is really shocking to me. Been going to a lot of AA and it's really helping. I'm still having cravings. How long do they last? Forever? I don't like driving by a liquor store and having an urge....it scares me.

Thanks to the email I sent to my boss I am on FMLA for 2 weeks to get myself sober and into treatment. I'm grateful for the time, but also feeling like having so much free time isn't a good idea. AA meetings only last so long. I've been calling friends way more often then I used to, taking my dog for extremely long walks (he's very happy about that) and working out a lot. Even with all that the nights just tempt me..........

The only thing keeping me going is remembering how bad Day One felt, and how I'm so afraid of feeling that again.....

Not sure I really have a question here.....just needed to post. I love this forum. So many people, so many different experiences, yet we are all connected and going through this together. Coming out as an alcoholic has been so incredibly freeing as I'm no long alone! I just worry so much about a relapse. Even now I have that stupid voice in the back of my head saying "just have one more night....then you can stop"......hope it eventually shuts the f*** up or at least quiets down.

I've been accepted to an outpatient treatment program, just waiting for an opening which should be this week. I'm SO looking forward to it. AA helps me so much and I feel like treatment will be like AA only even more focused.

Hope everyone is doing well.......

Donnylutz
Sober since 5/9/12
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Hello Donny
It sure does feel nice for me to wake up sober and not worry about 'those' crazy texts, message board posts nor insane things I use to do in person when I was drunk and hungover. Stick with it and understand\believe that there is life without that stuff coursing through our veins, took me a good while to accept that, but well worth it. Things tick me off every now & then, and even though the drink is all around, it is no longer an option, nor is any other mind altering drug. I have to live life on life's terms and my future. Post whenever you like, it helped me a lot.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, Donnylutz..and way to go on 7 days!! In my experience, no, the cravings don't last forever and that voice trying to get you to drink again quiets down. Stick to a program, stay vigilant, remind yourself of all the reasons you want and deserve this. It gets better as time goes on, but you have to do the work to get the time under your belt. Keep up the good work and good luck with your outpatient treatment. You CAN do this!! Proud of you!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply! I have found that posting helps a lot.....gives you a chance to think about what you are feeling....plus it helps pass the time.......I hate 8pm-10pm as that's when my cravings really hit.....once 10pm hits the liquor stores are closed and then I don't have to worry anymore

It's so great reading other people's experiences too...so many people here have been so successful....it's really helpful.

Donnylutz
Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week Donny - and like mirage said - it gets better and better...hang in there

D
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please remember you didn't end up living in chaos overnight; therefore, it takes awhile for things to settle back down. I had cravings for a long time and sometimes think a beer would taste so good. I just have to remind myself that one drink won't be enough, I won't want just one, and in the end drinking never ended well for me. I play the tape through in my mind. Where will that drink take me? It never takes me anywhere good. The cravings will lessen just be strong and remember you may have to change your routines to ease your cravings. I had to give up my social life for many monthes until I felt strong enough to be around people drinking. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Donny,
I still shudder when I think of all the asinine texts, drunk-dials, and Facebook posts I unleashed on people unlucky enough to be acquainted with me haha. And I know what you mean about breathing a sigh of relief when the liquor stores close. Good to hear you are getting some help!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mirage..................mind if I steal your Finding Nemo quote and use it as my mantra? LOL......I love that movie and just love Dory............who needs "One day at a time" when you have "Just keep swimming"? lol........................going to watch Finding Nemo now

Donnylutz............
Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Donny,

You are doing well as to when the cravings go, different for everyone I suppose. I had my last serious craving at 5 months. I am now nearly one year sober and have had no serious cravings at all.
Although last night I dreamt I drank a warm beer and was so annoyed at myself for relapsing and on warm beer!!!!

Yes keep in to the forefront of your mind of how bad it is for you to drink. keep up the meetings AA and this forum got me sober.
All the best
caiHong
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job Donny! It'll get better and easier as you go along.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Job well done! Just keep swimming.......
I cant tell you how much drunk dialing and texting I used to do. The worst part was not remembering what I had said or what I had done the night before. So over the embarrassment and onto my new life
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Donnylutz! I am just over Six months and the cravings are very few and far between. That voice in your head is annoying isn't it? Just tell that MF to shut up. It works.

Keep posting and good for you for getting support quickly and taking charge.

I drank a LOT of hot tea in the beginning. For some reason it helped me cope. I also had to change my social habits. I am just now venturing out to places where there is alcohol and feel strong enough and confident to be there.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congrats, 7 days is fantastic.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your week sober!! It took me 2 weeks to start thinking that "MAYBE I can actually do this" ..... Just know that you're building a little more strength every day even though it may not feel like it!

I thought the cravings would never go away, but they did. I'm so glad I had this place to turn to when I was feeling a little shaky.

Swim on, one day at a time!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Just tell that MF to shut up. It works.
Mhmm, it sure does. Welcome to SR, DL
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
AA meetings only last so long.
There is more truth to that than you know. I went to a lot of meetings for my first 3 months....2 sometimes 3 a day. I wanted to learn as much as I could. I studied the Big Book...Got a sponsor right off and started working the 12 steps...This was my life I was talking about. After what I'd been doing to myself for so long...I figured I owed myself that. Congrats on a week...AA will change your life....If you work for it. And it's a great journey.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Congrats on your week sober!! It took me 2 weeks to start thinking that "MAYBE I can actually do this" ..... Just know that you're building a little more strength every day even though it may not feel like it!

I thought the cravings would never go away, but they did. I'm so glad I had this place to turn to when I was feeling a little shaky.

Swim on, one day at a time!
hi guys, new to this site, can relate to alot of the posts, 7 days sober today. that was never really a problem as im used to going on and off it for weeks, i have been a binge drinker for most of my life, go on it for a few days and off it for weeks, attending aa meetings the past few days, reall want tom stay sober now and beat it!!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR tonymusic...Why don't you start a NEW THREAD and introduce yourself...And congrats on 7 days!!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on a week!