How to talk to an addict

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to talk to an addict

I spent a lot of time (years) trying to reason with an addict. It never worked. Imagine that.

I'm currently in a very limited contact with my addicted son. I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number and I have no way of contacting him. But I did have contact a couple of weeks ago......he called......I picked up.

I was calm. He was not. He tried to get me wound up. I didn't let him. He pulled every trick out of his bag to try to get me into a codependent FOG (using fear, obligation and guilt). And I listened. During the whole conversation I said about three sentences.

The first was a boundary....I will not/cannot have a relationship with anyone who is in active addiction.

The second was a statement of position......I will support you in recovery. I will not support your disease.

And the third called it like I see it.....I am feeling manipulated. (I didn't state why I felt that way just that I did. Notice the word "you" was not in that sentence.)

The phone call ended and I felt serene and under control. I knew he was spinning into orbit. I let it go.

Why am I sharing this? Because this recovery stuff works....if you work it. The "no contact" issue is less important to me than the "how I handle it if it happens" issue.

I talked to my brother (he's a therapist) later about it. He said....the conversation went on too long. And I just laughed. He was right.

Just sharing......

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love this. I'm no contact right now but I hope if/when my ex contacts me I can handle it like you did
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kindeyes--Thank you for sharing your experience. I wish you continuing peace.

I have never heard the FOG acronym before. Wow. That describes it perfectly. I'm putting this idea in my Recovery Toolbox.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Codependent FOG. Love it...will keep it in my mind!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing!! The FOG is a great reminder. I might borrow some of your words for future conversations with AM or ASD. I know how hard those conversations are, but good for you for not getting hooked into the manipulations!! Your boundaries were in place.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for this .... yes, it works when you work it but it's rarely easy, about your conversation with your brother, don't you just hate it when people are right?! I'm glad you laughed. I did too
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((KE))) - Way to GO!!! I'm very proud of you.

As both an RA and a recovering codie with loved ones who are A's, I will also need to remember the FOG thing. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a hard a$$ with my stepmom, who is addicted to whatever will make her numb...preferably opiates and benzos.

I live with her and my dad, so when she has her eyes half opened, slurring her speech and I say "you're f'd up"...she denies it, asks my dad (who has NO clue about addiction, nor the desire to learn...he just enables) if she's f'd up, I just say "whatever" in my most obnoxious tone and go to my room. She has followed me, sailing the river of denial, and I tell her "I know what I know, this is ME...the addict in recovery? I'm not stupid, and I know what I know, so get OUT of my room".

Usually, I come to SR after one of these episodes. Lately, though, I just see her passed out on the couch and I keep walking. I cling to the 3 C's. Mostly, I know she is an ACOA, A, codie and everything else and I can't undo 65 years of being who she is. My dad enables, so I tune him out when he starts complaining. I tell him to go to al-anon, as he won't listen to me, so I have nothing for him.

It's taken me years to get to this point, and I thank this forum for getting me to where I am today. I may live in dysfunction junction, but I don't have to be a part of the dysfunction. I can put the brakes on, detach, or whatever it takes to maintain my serenity. Yes, I still slip and slide, but it is for a very short time..one day, max. Again, I wouldn't be able to do this if it weren't for the wonderful people here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy