Notices

To those of you newcomers unsure of AA

Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

To those of you newcomers unsure of AA

I kicked and screamed fighting against AA for over a year. I sporatically went to meetings and fought against it not giving it a chance. I was afraid it was "cultish" too religious and I didnt fit in there.

I will admit that now I have been continuosly going to AA meetings early in my sobriety I have found meetings that were cliquish and not too accepting but I searched around for other meetings and I met up with some of the nicest kindest people Ive ever met.

I admitted that I was powerless over alcohol and I could not do this alone. I tried numerous times to stop drinking and I just could not stop the binges. I found myself a great sponsor and found meetings that I belonged. Mental health professionals push AA for a reason and I realized it does work if you allow it to just give it a chance and remain open to meeting new people and ask for help. You will meet many people who will be happy to help support you. Just wanted to put my two cents in as I was completely against AA while I was still drinking but now I know I need this program. Its great to be surrounded by people who get it.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good on ya! when when got into AA i thought everyone before me was sober and healthy. now i know even without alcohol, some are sicker than others!! it a great way of life and the best years lie ahead for ya!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember my first AA. I wasn't biased against AA. I had seen family members do well and speak highly of it. But I sure as HELL didn't want to be there. Didn't want to be seen there and didn't think I'd ever be happy again.

Now, I look forward to seeing a lot of my new friends, heck I get there early on purpose. I stay after, try to introduce myself to a newcomer and talk to friends about everything from fishing to surrender and higher power.

Thanx for your post inner, it's not a cult or a church. AA is a way to get recovered.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad it's working for you IC

D
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Ive met people who suffer from depression and addiction. I also became educated on addiction through my Acute outpatient hospital program and I no longer feel ashamed that I am powerless over alcohol. When I first entered the rooms, listening to people speak I believed no one had my problems with depression so I could not be cured but once I started talking to people esp women I realized I was not so different and many suffer from depression and changed the way they think instead of heading towards the drink. No one is perfect and still struggle but their lives are more manageable sober.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, I've heard up to 80% of those who've recovered from alcoholism have at some point had depression or continue to deal with it. But think how much worse it would be if we threw alcohol in the mix!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Adding alcohol and mixing it with depression is like throwing water on an electric fire it intensifies it...Last year every time I drank I ended up in either crisis unit or the psych unit. I still struggle with depression but I havent been committed since I stopped drinking. It could only get worse. In one meeting last week I realized I could have killed myself bc I was so depressed and during blackouts I had no idea what I was doing. Pretty scary.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, alcohol turns into behaviors/situations we never planned on going to. First thing I noticed when I got sober was I quit getting arrested. Coincidence? I don't think so
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

It's also important to note that with recovery, one size does not fit all--and it is okay to have misgivings about AA or any other program you could mention. There is no right or wrong way to quit an addiction. I think it's a good idea to give whatever path you've chosen your best effort, but don't be afraid to try something else if it isn't helping, or doesn't feel right to you.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm glad you found what works for you...well, eventually you did.

It is a rewarding feeling to find the help one needs as to recover from active addiction, that I can relate too