Notices

Would like advice from old timers (6 mo. or more)

Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would like advice from old timers (6 mo. or more)

I've learned how to make it to five months sober, only to get complacent and dive head first into the bottle for five weeks, ok so now I've learned that and will be aware of it, so what's the next classic mistake that I don't want to make? any advice would be really great, Thanks, Dan
Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The only way I've made it to 10 months is not getting complacent. I know where this disease will take me. I don't want to go there again.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

common things i have seen: using your own thinking to beat alcoholism, dont get a higher power, keep doin what ya did when ya drank, hang out with the same wet faces at the same wet places, dont do anything to change you, keep stuffing your past, dont do what others suggest, continue being selfish and self centered, think you can handle it on your own, dont admit/accept you have a disease( alcoholism)...........
Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My philosophy is pretty simple Dan

1. My drinking will kill me....soul first.
2. Don't pick up that first drink.
3. Be happy about it.

If you live your life loving being sober, you can't go wrong IMO man

D
Old 05-13-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LDT

I never thought The term "old timer" would make me feel so happy, but it does. So thank you, OCDDAN. I am coming up on 16 months At about the 6-7 month mark I felt I was losing my "enthusiasm" for sobriety, so I threw myself into a couple of new activities to keep me ultra busy. Distraction has always worked for me. So has exercise. Fairly quickly I was once again reminded of why I quit drinking. As I tell all my students " Have patience with the progress."
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Forgetting and thinking you have it under control now are dangerous. What ever you do has to counteract that.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Dan - My advice would be to stay connected with the addiction community in some way shape or form. Helping others helps ourselves.

Staying involved also helps to avoid another common pitfall....talking yourself into believing you're capable of moderate drinking.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys are great, thanks. So far what I've been doing is coming here for my daily dose of stories that make me remember what's it like to feel really bad, and also, just not taking that first drink, not getting complacent seems big, staying busy should help. great advice thanks.

any more sober techniques would be great.

p.s. I'm very sure i can't moderate, one drink and i'm off to the races.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

-other sober sites to visit (find some of your own or private message me)
-meetings
-reaching out to others whether they are new or not, lending a helping hand is an awesome "high"
-getting on the telephone to see how others are doing
-volunteering time
-working on myself is priceless (and working with my sponsor)
-creating new routines and habits

Can you make a list of what complacancy means to you or a list of what you can do differently? Each of us is a bit different. What sets me off may not set you off.

Knowing sobriety is better for us and that it's just not worth it is good enough.

Peace,
Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Recognize that relapse occurs long before you break and drink or use. Be aware you're slipping BEFORE you drink. That's when some of us have to count hours or minutes. Call someone. Addiction fools us into thinking its a choice. That's the disease (or condition, if you prefer.) It uses our minds to trick us into thinking we don't have the disease (or condition). Dry relapse gains strength until you can short circuit it.

Sadly, relapse is common. If you do, don't be ashamed, but quit again immediately. Don't stay relapsed. That's how we die. Call someone.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for calling me an old timer - I like it

I would say the following has helped me:

1) Find some new interests
2) Dont be afraid to ask for help as it could save your life
3) Avoid places where you could be tempted
4) Make new friends
5) Try and enjoy life
Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well I don't really think of myself as an old timer, but I have to echo what Renger said above. Being proactively involved in a recovery community has helped to keep me sober, and that includes face to face support groups as well as SR.

On top of that, find a reason to stay sober. If you don't feel like you're living for anything it's hard to keep living, ya know?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with what Dee said about the soul. I need to take care of myself and keep balance in my life, every single day. For me, it's that simple and that important.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Dan,

Don't become complacent. I learned this the hard way....but I DID learn my lesson.

Keep connected to a sober community. Very important for me and helps me to give back.

READ, keep learning, gratitude check in's, share and help others.

I never forget how bad I wanted sobriety.

Great thread Dan
Old 05-13-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me probation and random breath test got me through the first five months. Then it was going to a party late and seeing how wasted most were. It was, very enlightining to see how stupid they were acting and realized I acted like that most of the times. I pretty much turned around and left. Unfortunately most of the people at that party were my close friends and I have to distance myself from them when theres drinking involved. One price to pay for me to continue on this road but a necessary one.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

If you've found a way to stay sober for five months, then find someone who can't stay sober for two days and help them. Nothing cements my sobriety more than helping someone else find it. That's what keeps me from getting complacent, and as far as I can tell, complacency is the fastest way back to the bar for us, whether it's at five months or five years.

--Fenris.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
If you've found a way to stay sober for five months, then find someone who can't stay sober for two days and help them. Nothing cements my sobriety more than helping someone else find it. That's what keeps me from getting complacent, and as far as I can tell, complacency is the fastest way back to the bar for us, whether it's at five months or five years.

--Fenris.
Hey Fenris, actually I have found someone, my brother, he's catching on, it takes time tho, just like on SR it takes time when people fall down and get back up, but i do agree, it helps me to help him and others if i can.

debsam, thanks, nice of you to say..

Paslm, yea, i was on probation five years, no license, probation officer showed up occasionally with a police officer and handcuffs, she told me when the five years were over that i was one of the only people that didn't get violated. but i still drank for another ten years..

thanks everyone, I'm finding out that recovery doesn't just happen then you are fixed, you have to keep working at it, basically live it, or possibly die. thanks again, (i'm going for a walk)
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have to remind myself on a daily basis where I came from and the chaos my life was. Then I tell myself I don't want to go back to that. Everyday I recommit myself to sobriety and I thank God for helping me stay sober.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me it would be GRATITUDE. Being grateful for my blessings gives me reason to enjoy my life. Gratitude has really helped my recovery of over two years now.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I remember what I felt like on the last day I drank...it was horrible. That and what I felt like for a month after quitting, I try to remember that I never have to feel that way again...if I just don't pick up.

I know that it isn't the first drink that will take away my sobriety and all that came with it...it is the first SIP...that is enough to keep alcohol as far away from my lips as possible!

Be kind to yourself, you have not failed, you made a mistake. The thing about sobriety is that you can start over

Cathy