New here...conflicted about mothers day :(

Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...conflicted about mothers day :(

Hi everyone. I am new here and I wanted to start out by saying thank you for all the help you have given me while I was a lurker here. I am writing tonight because I am so conflicted about mothers day. I am very close to both my parents ( I am an only child) but have recently had some really rough times with my mom. Her drinking has been increasing over the past couple months and she got really out of control last week in front of my 3 very young children. It was the straw that broke the camel's back and I made my boundaries known. However, we are all spending mothers day weekend together and I am a hot mess. Angry and kind of detached from her, but not in a loving way. I am going to try to enjoy my kids on mom's day, despite the drama with my mom. Thanks for letting me vent....sorry for the format...am on my phone.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to go to Mom's for mother's day?
Did your boundaries address her drinking around you or the babies?
Please don't let her take the joy of the day from you.
How old are your children? Oh, how I loved the age when they made things for me.
I still have some of them.
Do what is best for you and your children. You will all feel better for it, I believe.

Beth

Happy Mother's Day
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's YOUR mother's day too - don't give it to her to spoil. if she says or does someting to upset you, deflect it and hand it back to her - put it right back into her lap. focus on your children - everyday makes memories for them (and for you) do what you know is right to make a good memory - whether it's standing up for yourself, being strong and staying true to your convictions, giving extra hugs to your children, or leaving (if at all possible) when your mom picks up a drink. Happy Mother's Day to you - after what you described IMHO making your own mom's mother's day is not your responsibility - enjoying your own mother's day with your children is your responsibility. Let them know how happy they make you and how much you love them - standn up, be strong, stay true.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are actually on vacation...me, my dad and mom, and my 2,5,6 year old. Trip was planned for my son's 5th birthday a couple months ago and I considered cancelling but figured why should my son suffer? My mom and dad have their own room (we are in Hershey) and the kids and I have adjoining rooms. My mom is not allowed to be around my kids alone...she will probably stay clean for a few months and is all guilty about it now but that will wear off. Thanks for the support...I am going to focus on my 3 little chickens tomorrow...after all they are the ones who made me a mom...much love to everyone.