Thank you, Mom & Dad, you saved my bacon!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mom & Dad, you saved my bacon!

We share a lot of sad stories here, so I thought I'd share one that's a bit happy and has a somewhat satisfying twist.

In a life long, long ago, when my husband and I were a happy young couple with a baby, we bought our home. Back in those days, my husband drank the occasional normal weekend beer, and life was good. We were happy, we were partners, it was us against the world. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd be sitting where I am now and dealing with all the pain of legal separation and what it entails financially.

And in that happy life long ago, my incredibly generous parents gave me over $100,000 to help purchase our dream property, a beautiful horse farm nestled between vineyards. They did so with the idea that they wanted to see me "enjoy my inheritance while we are alive." It was a wonderful gift.

My parents insisted on executing a very specific legal agreement regarding this gift/inheritance to be signed by my husband. At the time, I felt a little hurt by it (because my AH would never leave me!), but we complied. The gist of the agreement was that my husband was not entitled to this money if we divorced or separated.

This agreement is going to save my bacon in a very big way. My attorney said it's legally binding and that this gift/inheritance is considered separate property --- but the good part is that the agreement stipulated even more. Part of it reads: "If, for any reason SoaringSpirits and I should separate or divorce, the $100,000 plus appropriate interest/equity shall go to SoaringSpirits, and that SoaringSpirits has the first option to remain in the primary residence."

Today, I am incredibly grateful for my parents' foresight. Thank you Mom and Dad for being wise enough to know that love does not always conquer all, that the years are not always kind to a marriage, that unexpected things happen. In giving this gift and then protecting it legally, you have protected me and my children and they will grow up in the only home they have ever known.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Soooooooooooo Awesome!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My kudos to your parents!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WONDERFUL!

I am greatful for my parents, also. I did not get an inheritence, but at a very young age my dad said That someday he will pay for my wedding or my education and YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE. So, now my life is in shambles and I do not know what tomorrow brings, but I have a great job and know no matter what I can take care of my kids. Thank Goodness for mom and dads!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

High five to mom and dad! That is a great story and thanks for sharing.