Notices

Alcoholic

Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Alcoholic

My father is an alcoholic, and stopped drinking over 20 years ago.
I follow his patters. I smoked (quit 6 months ago) and have increased my drinking. I drink red wine everynight after work about half a bottle. I know I am addicted because I instantly crave it when I come home. It invades my thoughts, like cigarettes did. I look forward when I can drink.
I am hoping to find a way to face my life, than to avoid it. To be better to myself, my kids, and to find a way towards a peaceful relationship with my husband. Day 1, without alcohol. I am an alcoholic, but will I ever be able to enjoy a glass of good wine without plunging into dependency? I fear the answer is no.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wisdomandpeace

I am hoping to find a way to face my life, than to avoid it. To be better to myself, my kids, and to find a way towards a peaceful relationship with my husband.
not drinking helped me to be a better person and to live a better life...when it comes down to it, that's the crux of recovery right there IMO

you'll find a lot of support here - welcome

D
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Better to face the beast before it has a chance to really sink it's claws in deep. Surround yourself with alternative drink choices like sparkling mineral water, teas, fruit juices and the like so you have something interesting the drink. I find it helps with the craves.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Any person that comes home and drinks alcohol everything and then stop drinking, will crave for the alcohol. The body and mind got use to it. If you think drinking a half a bottle of wine is too much or find it troubling to have then stopping is a good idea.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome wisdomandpeace!

Congratulations on giving up smoking - C'est merveilleux!! (I haven't succeeded in doing that yet, so I'm envious!)

will I ever be able to enjoy a glass of good wine without plunging into dependency? I fear the answer is no.
I think you'd be correct on that...... The good news is that the longer you're sober, the less you'll think about it and the more you'll enjoy a new sense of freedom. (Can you imagine trying to have a few cigarettes on special occasions?) If the thought of never drinking again is scary (like it was for me), just remember that the future never really gets here - we only have today and the choices we make right now.

Glad you've joined our group!:day6
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 I found after trying many times to 'drink normally' that I was happier just not drinking at all. It was easier that way.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

My dad was an alcoholic as well, so I know how it feels to follow in your parent's footsteps.

I don't think you'll ever be able to drink again, but the great news is that after a while of being sober you will probably find that you don't ever want to drink again. That's not to say that you won't have cravings, but overall you will probably find your life to be a lot less stressful without alcohol.

Best wishes,
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with what's been said...It amazes me how the thought of of never drinking again...What about Holidays?...And parties and vacations?....How I could I do all these things without alcohol?....I wasted so much time thinking about that....And by just removing this substance that really controlled everything I did....And screwed it up really good....I can now look at my life and say....How the hell did I live my life with that crap in it anyway? The idea of having a few?...A few equals misery for me....I'll pass.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i dont think you really know much about alcoholism or ya wouldnt be asking if ya could safely have a drink some time. there is nothing wrong with not having knowledge. the problem comes when we dont seek it.
glad to see ya wanna face yer life!! FEAR= Fu*k Everything And Run, or Face Everything And Recover. however, there is no way i could have been able to do that with my own thinking and my own knowledge. i had to use the thinking of others, others who had recovered from alcoholism.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

WisdomandPeace, welcome to the team! I like your name very much, because that is exactly what I found when I quit. I stopped. No more.

It was a little shaky getting started, but I drew strength from my decision, not by thinking of the things I would no longer do, but instead of all the things that I could do, the things I could have. It was in my power, it was all up to me.

This is a list that I kept handy for a while.

1. Alcohol is expensive and by quitting, I will have more money
2. My brain and memory will be sharper
3. My liver will be healthier and will have more chance of healing any damage I already have done to it
4. I will be able to stop lying to friends and family about my drinking
5. My relationships are likely to improve
6. My skin and complexion will look better
7. Niggling aches and pains will improve when I stop drinking
8. I won't have to cope with hangovers
9. Quite quickly I will generally begin to feel better in myself
10. I will feel better about myself and stop berating myself for drinking too much
11. I will have a lot more energy on a day-to-day basis
12. I will be able to get off the treadmill of buying alcohol supplies
13. My love life will probably improve
14. I will sleep better and wake up feeling more refreshed
15. My work attendance is likely to improve
16. My friends will be proud of mr for managing to quit drinking.
17. I'll have more free time when I don't spend so much time drinking/in bars
18. My sense of taste and smell will be sharper
19. People will comment on how well I look
20. I won't feel trapped and powerless because of my addiction to alcohol
21. I will begin to get to know the real me again and so will those around me
22. I will regain my interest in hobbies and passions
23. My family will feel much happier and less worried about me
24. I'll feel much calmer and more content with life
25. My zest for life will be refreshed
26. I will feel a sense of empowerment that I took control of the situation
27. I will find that I am smiling and laughing more
28. I will feel more optimistic about the future
29. I'll be able to make more plans for the future, knowing they won't be spoiled by alcohol
30. I will feel happier than when I was drinking

Article Source: 30 Reasons to Stop Drinking Alcohol

I could write that whole thing again, in the past tense, because every one of those things happened for me. They can happen for you, too, WisdomandPeace.

Are you ready to make a plan for your continued use of alcohol?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

26. I will feel a sense of empowerment that I took control of the situation.

Yep, taking away the control alcohol had over me, put me back in the drivers seat.