Notices

Exercise

Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise

I don't know about anyone else on these forums, but so far in sobriety, at least early-ish sobriety (about 5 months), I have found that the gym/exercise has been just as important as anything else in keeping me sober.

I'm not sure if it's the feeling of getting up and doing something physical, the body image / health improvements or what, but I don't think I can live without it now.

Combining a little better diet, obviously the benefits of not drinking, and some exercise has completely changed me physically, and I think mentally as well. I do suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety occassionally, but it seems like exercise has actually helped in that department as well. You would think exercising would make you more tired, but I'm finding that I seem to have more energy now after a good workout.

Just sharing something that has seemingly made a huge difference in staying sober, at least with me.

Take Care All!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had the same experience. In the beginning I just kept exercising. If I was upset I exercised, If I wanted a drink I went for a walk. If I was depressed, I went out to play tennis etc. I cna clearly say exercise really helped me in the beginning and still is an important part in my life now (almost 15 month sober). I still like to go for walks. It relaxes me.....
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a ripple effect. When you do one thing to help improve your mental, physical or spiritual health, it has an effect on other parts of your life. And, I have found that for me, balance is the key to recovery.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post. I plan on doing a lot of exercise as well. I have a treadmill here. When I feel better, I will definitely be on that!

I read another interesting post. "if you feel like drinking eat something" I'm not trying to push pounds on you, but I know when I drink, I surely won't eat usually until I'm so wasted I think I need pizza. Food ruins the buzz.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exercise has made a huge difference for me. My passion is now tennis. It works for me on several levels. It keeps me busy, (I play several times a week). I hang out with other people who like to play (and as a consquence are into a healthy lifestyle). It has improved my overall fitness and well being. And best of all, it's more fun than drinking.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Exercise made a huge difference for me, too, and I don't say this enough. I'll admit that I got a little TOO involved in my exercise program at first--kind of a substitute addiction, to be honest--but that passed in time. Nothing is better for health or mood, and I met some of my best non-drinking friends at the gym!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alittle over 5 months in and it is the only change that I haven't made yet. But, the 15 pounds I have put on would like to see me pick it up.

On a side not Programmer it is good to see you are doing well.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its also important to me - today I went on a 8 mile cycle and it have given me loads of energy.

I love the post excercise buzz