Notices

One week sober today! and a sign from above

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Talking One week sober today! and a sign from above

Today is day 7!!! One whole week without alcohol.

I wanted to sleep in, but woke up early anyway. I've been needing to get routine blood tests done, but fasting was required and I was usually too hungover to bother with it. So I hopped out of bed and made my way to the lab.

There, I ran into my ex-husbands first wife. I hadn't seen her in years, and some would think its strange, but I was so happy to see her! We always got along well, we were married to the same abusive, alcoholic man. She was instrumental in my decision to leave him over 10 years ago.

We are very similar, except that she flourished after the divorce and I carried the pain of his abuse close to my heart. I was fine for a few years until the drink could no longer supress the past.

I stayed away from her after I lost my son because I felt she would be so disappointed. I saw no judgement in her eyes today. She, of course had been married to the same man, and knew the pain he inflicted was not my fault, as it were not hers.

I actively hate my ex. She has no hatred. I haven't been able to move past one devastating event, while she has let go.

Seeing her today brought new light and enthusiasm to my sobriety. A higher power woke me up, sent me way out of my way across town (other lab had no appointments) to see this woman today. I'm so grateful!

I'm agnostic, though I prayed to God when I was going through withdrawl last week. I think he may have heard me. I feel so blessed, its something I've rarely felt since I started drinking.

For all those who are thinking about quitting, or are newly quit, I can only speak for myself when saying becoming sober is the single best choice I have ever made. The next best choice is choosing not to drink every day.

I know I won't be forever tied down by my past. I look at sobriety like a chain...each day I don't drink, one link disappears. The chain will never be broken, but as the links disappear, I get closer to where I came from.

Thank you for reading, have a blessed and beautiful Thursday. Love to all of you!

roosta
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a wonderfully inspiring post. Great job on 1 week.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Thank you soberred! :ghug3n

roosta
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad today is moving along smoothly for you, Roosta!

Amazing what a higher power can do for us. Keep staying stopped, it IS worth it! Congratulations on 1 week, YOU are a miracle in progress and have a lot to share with others who suffer.

I wish you more beautiful days ahead!
Hugs,
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one week sober!!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

What a blessing! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love it when the universe clears a path for us and lets us see the signs!

Congrats on 1 week!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats Roosta! I am also on day 7. It is crazy how fast this week has gone.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats to both of you on one week....I remember being shocked I made it a week....When you hear people say it does get better...It does....You might have to work for it...But it's worth every minute of it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Roosta and Alone (not anymore)!
The universe wants you sober!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Some would look at these things and see random events. I think it’s something different.

Your post made me think of the term “synchronicity”, or “meaningful coincidence”. So I decided to search for this word in SR forums after I read your post. If you do this now, a post comes up from today (note the word is used on SR only a few times per month). First note the time of day it was posted (within 4 minutes of your post). Note also that this individual has two posts togather. The one prior (to the one using the term “synchronicity”) talks about remembering her first 7 days (the amount of time you have today).

If you study synchronicity you will find that it was coined by Carl Jung, one of the great thinkers of the last several hundred years (and one of the few people specifically mentioned by name in the book “Alcoholics Anonymous”). These types of events happen, according to Jung, preceding times of great change in our lives. It’s no accident that you see this event as very meaningful. The personal experience of these things can be truly profound. I understand, I really do. Here is more on Synchronicity if you’re interested. Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you're feeling good!

And, how wonderful for you to have met up with your friend just when you needed it. I have found many moments like that since I stopped drinking and they always make me smile. The Universe supports us when we are in alignment with our soul's purpose.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Really happy to have read this!! Congratulations on one week, and keep going!!! I feel the same way you do, exactly. Something is waking me up and it feels great!! I wouldn't go back for anything now.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on your one week - nothing happens by chance xx
Old 05-10-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week Roosta

D
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by roosta
For all those who are thinking about quitting, or are newly quit, I can only speak for myself when saying becoming sober is the single best choice I have ever made. The next best choice is choosing not to drink every day.
Wonderful progress Roosta.

The people that I admire the most in recovery are the ones that have 10,20,30 years sober/clean. These people came to the hard truth that the ultimate responsibility in getting healthy is making that difficult choice to stop killing themselves with alcohol.