Notices

New Here

Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Im so overwhelmed and dont know where to start or to get help....Im 2 days sober....where do I go from here??
Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome. the major question you have to ask yourself is do you WANT help. are you desperate enough to do anything necessary to get sober? all it takes is changing you.
a sober life is awesome!! when i 1st got into recovery, i couldnt have imagined a life like i have today! man, i have a life and im not just existing!!! it took a lot of work to get where i am but it was all worth it and none of it hurt me and none of it was illegal!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, SuzanQ. You have found the most supportive group of people who are truly caring, kind, and have been in your shoes. There is a ton of information here at SR. When I joined up in January, I joined the January Class of 2012, in addition to reading and sharing in the New Comers area. Check out the May Class - Dee will be happy to see you, and above all - keep posting and sharing. You are amongst friends.

Smiles,
NBC
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SusanQ,

Have you considered AA or any other support groups?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome SusanQ....This is a great place to start...Glad you're here.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Suzan

Originally Posted by SuzanQ View Post
I...where do I go from here??
I started my sober journey with a total life rearrangement. Drinking was killing me, I had to stop abusing my mind/body with drugs/drink. I could no longer hang around people that did not have my best interest at heart. I made new sober friends, developed a practice of secular spirituality and found a way to live life in a peaceful manner. In short I had change everything I had the to power to do...not picking up the first drink was one of those things. You can do it too.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 Get safely thru the physical detox and then start working on the mental side of recovery. You have to learn how to live sober, without the crutch. It takes a lot of work and changes but is so worth it. I'm over two years sober now and my life is so much better. Yours can be too.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im so overwhelmed and dont know where to start or to get help....Im 2 days sober....where do I go from here??
A.A. works for me, Susan. All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome Suzan. A visit to your doctor would be prudent to make sure you can detox safely. After taking care of your immediate physical needs, start putting a plan of action together. I finally broke down and went to AA and have found so much help and my first real taste of sobriety. My first few meetings were difficult to force myself to go to but after getting over the hump i've found a great fellowship and a program that is working as long as i wholeheartedly work it. I'm glad you found this community. I hope you find what you need among us!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Suzan..... you ask where do you go from here?..... How about 3 days sober? It adds up. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Susan.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Yes I want to get help.....I have a whole list of AA meetings. The hard part is the courage to walk in. I cant count how many times Ive walked out the door for work with the intention of going to a meeting directly after. Hasn't happened yet. My "fruity" drinks have been keeping me from enjoying life. It doesn't take much to make me happy....getting my hair done on schedule,taking walks,sitting on the porch when its raining,going to church and i've let it all go . Ive been pretty much in denial and realize I CANT do this alone and if I try I will fail. Ive basically spent the past 25 years of my life Alone(even though I have 3 children and 6 grandchildren) with a whole lot of baggage that i've never ever dealt with and to top it off let me add Im engaged to an Alcoholic. I'm a complete mess!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This a good site for a first meeting...They talk about the fear that we all have...It's a great experience...I hope you try it.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Suzan
Whatever you choose, and you will get a lot of people helping you here, sobriety is better than drunk
I wish you well, it is hard to begin, but once you have stopped the drink you will find things get better day by day, and soon you will wonder why you ever did drink
Billy
Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome

I know exactly where you're coming from. The amount to times I walked past what is now my home group is anyone's guess

You're in the right place - stay here, keep posting and take on board everyone's fab advice. I did and I'm 11 months sober today
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Suzan I travel a lot and I've been to AA in Newport, Covington and Lexington. There is some real good AA up there, just bite the bullet and go.

Sapling's link is invaluable, please read it first.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The hard part is the courage to walk in.
Most of us felt the same way...
Once you get through the door the first time you will be amazed how much better you feel. You can do it !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Suzan and congrats on making the decision to remain sober. It's a huge first step. I too was very apprehensive but went to my first AA meeting on May 1st, the day I decided to quit. I didn't know what to expect but felt immediately at home. They are wonderful, caring people and I would highly recommend you go to one. And if you're feeling uncomfortable, they do have womens only meetings. And remember, one day at a time
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ive been reading alot of posts and I see myself alot....I have alot alot of work ahead of me for sure!!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome susan,I was a grandmother when I got sober.

Glad to hear you would like to go to AA,there is a saying in AA,"there are no strangers here only friends you havent met yet."

I wish you well.