Notices

It has gotten worse

Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It has gotten worse

I stopped for 21 days in October and thought I would get back on the train but have not been able to.. Now I am finding that I get massive anxiety the next day if I dont drink. Is this a side affect of alcholism? I have never felt this way before. I had some drinks last night and this evening I have anxiety, nothing is wrong and there is no reason to have anxiety.. Anyone have any ideas if it is drinking related.. this is totally new.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was certainly a side effect for me, Ed.

I think it got worse whenever I went back because I KNEW I was making a bad decision and letting myself down.

I'm sorry to see you're struggling again but I'm glad you're back here

D
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking depresses the central nervous system so when you come off alcohol your brain kicks into overdrive. Takes a while to settle down but it will get better if you just stay sober.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

My anxiety occurs as soon as I wake up after drinking. Heart pounding, sweats. etc.

A lot has to do with the self-loathing from drinking yet again the night before -- as well as, I am sure, from the physiological symptoms of withdrawl/hangover.

Anyway, I am diagnosed with anxiety to begin with and alcohol is only a temporary reprieve.

Wishing you the best.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that definitely happened to me.

I think each time you stop drinking and start again, it becomes harder to stop the next time.

I'm glad you're back.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome back Ed. For me, anxiety was a regular withdrawal occurrence. On occasion, I was able to put the extra nervous energy to work at the gym with good success. Glad you posted. Keep coming back.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Anxiety was the most crippling side effect of my drinking. It gets worse and worse the more you drink. It is a major symptom of alcohol withdrawal. I never had anxiety without booze being involved.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Oh I can totally relate.

The effects of drinking on my mind/body caused massive anxiety long after the last drink. Even tho I have an anxiety/panic disorder, drinking on top of that was literately madding for me. It was a nasty way to live for me. Not drinking is way way better.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome back Ed --

I had terrible anxiety issues when I was drinking. Not only that, but I would border on paranoia sometimes. I'm only 26, too! I think if I would have kept drinking I would have completely gone bonkers by the time I was 30.

Kind odd to look back, because now, despite my issues, I feel relatively normal and sane most days.

Time to get off the crazy train yet? Good to see you around bud.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
4-23-2012

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, that definitely happened to me.

I think each time you stop drinking and start again, it becomes harder to stop the next time.

I'm glad you're back.
Thats exactly what Ive experienced. It gets worse with every time I quit. Its gotten bad enough that I definitely never want to start again; not sure I would survive the next withdrawal.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's progressive....I'm not going to get into whether it's a disease or not...But it is progressive...You see people that go back out after years of sobriety and they say it's worse than when they first stopped.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just another voice to.chime in but yes it happens to me whenever I drink. The next day my blood pressure is off the charts, pulse racing, and if I bump into something I nearly jump out of my shoes. Alcohol really affects our central nervous system negatively in a big way.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also have anxiety that eventually became much more severe each morning after I drank, which was every night. It was self perpetuating. I would drink to diminish my anxiety that I caused or elevated by drinking. Horrible.

I saw my doctor about anxiety and he is helping me manage it. Now, with that help, and a few months of sobriety and a good measure of self-loathing behind me, I am much, much less anxious. Things will get better if you stick with it! My best to you.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It was horrible. The worst was waking up at some ungodly hour, unable to go back to sleep worrying about stuff I couldn't fix...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh absolutely. I had dreadful anxiety, which led to depression long term. The only thing I can tell you is that I'm 5 weeks sober tomorrow and it has made the world of difference. Alcohol was definitely the major trigger, once that was removed the anxiety reduced enormously.
Welcome back and good luck. Keep posting xx
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My anxiety and panic attacks were causing me to drink earlier and earlier in the day because in knew once I opened a beer they would stop. I have been sober only 17 days and the attack have nearly gone away
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If this thread has taught me anything it is that most of our health problems only get worse when drinking and we know it. Having been a long term insomniac I knew that drink made me sleep for a few hours then wake me.
Whereas my insomnia worried me and kept me from sleeping and made me focus on the consequences of not sleeping therefore keeping me awake.
Many years ago whilst just married and drinking daily but not heavily I realised that lying in bed next to my wife in our home in the safe was warm and quite nice . I didn't sleep much more but I was less tired.
Now as I brought on sobriety I felt less tired on less sleep as long as I didn't worry about the lack of sleep.
A good friend who's a Dr said the only problem with insomnia is the anxiety it brings apart from people with restless leg syndrome . I asked what that was and he said you don't have it you'd know.
Sorry for rambling.
John
I
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

It's a bad sign, get help
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Its called "Kindling" & it will get worse, its another great reason to quit. Here is some info for you: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf

All of the best in your recovery
Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

After 30 years of drinking, my anxiety was so bad that I ended up in the emergency room, questioning my own sanity. That was nearly 3 years ago. Today I have no anxiety issues and my outlook on life has improved tremendously.