Notices

Struggling today

Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling today

I am calling upon all of my inner resources, but I am incredibly down today. Would any of you mind sharing some good news with me? Something that is going well for you, or something that makes you proud?

I am thinking that might help. Sounds oddly selfish, so thanks for anything you can offer. I am on the verge of tears, and I don't know why.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here was my positive post from yesterday:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm off work today, enjoying a great lunch of juicy pork chops, carrots and stewed apples, and thinking how I would already be at the bar in my drinking days. Instead of this fine meal, after drinking I'd probably have driven drunk thru taco bell. And of course I'd be hungover tomorrow.

I do not miss those days at all! I wonder why I ever did that to myself for so long.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If its day time where you are take a breath of the fresh air, bask in the sun or feel the fresh rain on your face,

If its night time then look at the stars and the moon, if its cloudy feel the fresh breeze on your face.

The world is a fantastic place.

The other night I was walking back from the hotfood takeaway shop on the caravan site that we've got our weekend break caravan, I was drunk and I looked at the clear sky and thought to myself how much better it would look if I was looking at it with a clear mind instead of heading back to the caravan to my wife and kids reeking of booze.

We aren't at our caravan for a few weekends now due to work commitments but that sober walk from the takeaway is top of my agenda.

Keep strong and enjoy your sobriety.

Bruno.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After a emotional day yesterday I woke up this morning feeling amazing. I felt very hopeful about my sobriety. Both of my daughters sent me " I love you mom" text messages.What a great way to start the day. Later this afternoon, a wonderful friend sent me the most beautiful message. It brought tears to my eyes. Moods change a lot for me in early recovery. Hang in there.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

A year ago this week I was a complete drunken and high disaster. 5 months in my apartment and unpacked boxes decorated the place.

Today, I am 1 week shy of 1 year of sobriety. I have curtains up, pictures on the wall and I own a couch (free on craigslist and it's gorgeous!).

I have a life today. I substitute teach, seeking full time employment, I volunteer my time, I have friends from all over the world (especially in person). My cat is quite content as am I.

Life is an action for the living and I am now part of that crowd instead of the walking dead just trying to get to tomorrow~!

Keep strong and stay stopped! You are so worth it!~
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find I have slow patches in my recovery journey and then sometimes things come together very fast. Today is a day when things that have been on my mind have come together completely and quickly and I feel like I have moved significantly forward on this journey. I love times like this.

Sometimes when you feel like crying, crying is the best thing to do. It can cleanse you and help you to feel better.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. This is helping. :-) I enjoy good news and appreciate you sharing it.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

Check out the gratitude threads here on SR. They always cheer me up, even when I'm in the funkiest of moods.

Don't know if you like animals or not, but here is my happy post today ( granted, it's not as grand or poetic as it could be).... my new puppy and my cat received glowing vet reports this week. When I was drinking I let the care of my pets sort of slide. These days
I am on top of things . This makes me very happy.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on day 19! I felt better after about 12 days but still felt this weird fluish type feeling. almost like everything was off and kind of dreamy. I was taking 8 to 12 10 Mg norco a day. So that is my good news! and I am loving all the new friends I am meeting here
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Moods change a lot for me in early recovery

They did for me too in the early weeks and months. But the place I'm at today is worth the struggle of those first days and weeks. I'm clean of heart and mind and I'm enjoying my life for the first time in a while.

Hang in there and stay sober. Better days are coming. :ghug3
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Heya I've been very up and down as well these past few days, hang in there pal. Here's my input - I met a little girl (5 or 6yrs old) who approached me in a shop when I was very down and she was smiling and laughing and kept grabbing my hand and playing with my watch. Sounds pretty silly (and a bit cheesy) but it really cheered me up to see her so happy Hope you're doing well.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

One less thing to worry about today. He will not survive the detox process.

Please note: any resemblance to degilz’s avatar (above) is purely coincidental.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It's my birthday today, 55. I remember the day the doc told me I wouldn't make it to 23. That was before AA. So I am grateful to still be here, my partner bought me some lovely presents, she is so thoughtful. I am really proud of my two children. My son aged 20 and daughter aged 17. They are both well adjusted, popular kids with an outlook on life that I wish I had. When I see them achieve something or when someone passes a nice comment about them, I am absolutely thrilled. And I enjoy the company of their friends. And the best thing is neither of them are at all like me when I was their age. Of course the credit is not mine, it goes to God and their wonderful mother.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

this story really gave me pause - hope it inspires you too C4G

Woman makes marathon history in bionic suit - World (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

D
Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
this story really gave me pause - hope it inspires you too C4G

Woman makes marathon history in bionic suit - World (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

D
That was lovely reading Dee. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
attitude.jpg (71.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yesterday, I was feeling quite goofy. My 8 yr old daughter was taking a bubble bath & we were just making goofy, silly faces at each other trying to see who'd laugh first. I laughed & laughed til my sides hurt & my eyes were watering.
I have not laughed like that in years.
It felt fabulous & I kept thinking, this is what it's like to feel joy, completely sober.
Prayers for you Change!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

just wanted to say... I hope you're doing alright
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too - hope you feel better, change. Mood swings are normal, but everything gets better. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Change, Sorry, the best thing i can come up with is, at least my home wasn't destroyed by a huricaine, or i didn't die, go to jail or get a Dui, this not drinking or using stuff is hard, I know, I'm struggling too, i'd like to think i'm smart enough to beat this, but still, it's tough, count your blessings, hang in there.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Inspiring Story

wishes for good days to come for you