Out of the box recovery?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of the box recovery?

I have been thinking about this for the last week or so and another post inspired me to finally write it down.

A lot of us (me included) have had a lot of success in recovery with some tried and true programs, choices and skills.

I am wondering if anyone did something unusual and "out of the box" that also greatly helped their journey, and if they would be willing to share. This is not to discount in any way, those tried and true programs, but to help build on the strengths we already have.

I do something called Rolfing every other week and I love it. It is a type of massage of the connective tissue in the body instead of the muscle tissue. It has helped me to have less tension in my neck and jaw (I have TMJ), but has also put me more in touch with my body and to listen to my physical being.

I am curious what others have had success with.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I started this journey I was miserable. I started Alanon and that helped a lot. I found myself doing a lot of self-examination, a lot of searching for healthy responses and behaviours. I did a lot of reading and while feeling better, I wasn't happy.

Around this time I read a newspaper article about a young women divorcing and isolating. She made a conscious decision to "say yes" to things she had been tempted to miss out on. The article was a recap of how this had worked out for her during the year. The effects were positive, and in some cases, surprising.

So, I've started my year of "saying yes" and at the same time made the decision to actively seek happiness. Now the questions I ask myself are "is this healthy for me" and "will this make me happier". I also have taken my gratitude list away from the end of day and practice it several time a day "in the moment" in order to increase my happiness.

It's funny. One of things I've noticed is that this has affected the music I listen to, the articles I read online, the t.v. shows I watch and who I spend time with. It even affects what posts I click on here.

I'm not doing cartwheels in the sunshine yet, but I can say that I am happier.