Notices

Its getting harder

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its getting harder

I am 9 days sober today! I have felt great! Last week, for the most part, I felt like it was pretty easy to not drink. I have been very motivated. That being said, this week I feel like I am starting to falter. I see things that remind me of drinking - things that I liked. For example, I went to Buffalo Wild Wings with 3 of my young daughters tonight for dinner. We had a great time. But - I used to go there often with my friends or my wife and I would always drink. I loved doing that! So anyway, while I was there I started thinking to myself "I know I could come back here and drink with my buddies maybe just a couple times a month - just for the camaraderie and fun of it.". In other words, I've been feeling so good about things and I'm still motivated to not be drinker that I'm having thoughts that I could just control it this time. I'm pretty sure this is a normal thought but my questions are: How do I get past these thoughts and will these thoughts ever go away? I really want to live an alcohol free life. I have felt great this last week and a half! I'm still motivated. I'm not going to blow it, but the temptations seem to be getting harder - not easier. I don't like that! Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah most people find the motivations get a little less intense ILB. Who wants to not do something it seems everyone else does?

But remind yourself of why you can't.

I found I had to do a little more than just not drink - logging in here daily was a great way for me to remind myself of what was at stake and why I wanted to change in the first place, for example.

I also changed some of the people I hung around with, some of the things I used to do, and some of the places I used to hang out in - at least for a little while, y'know?
Recovery was that important to me - I had to make some concrete decisions about what I wanted my life to be like and what I needed to do to get there.

I can't recommend highly enough the importance of regular support, ILB.

D
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I have not been on this sight as much this week as I have been very busy at work. I agree that this site has helped me a ton. I'll keep reading !
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by ilovedbeer View Post
Thanks Dee. I looked on the acronym page but didn't see it there. What is ILB?
He's reffering to you (ILoveBeer)

I think I'm turning into the acronym expert around here; a rather dubious position for me.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I finally figured that out after I asked the question. Oops.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry - saves me typing

D
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Feeling good and romanticing the drinking led me back more times than I care to remember. Feeling good is a dangerous time for me.

I suggest AVRT and reading about some of the SMART tools
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

I should add that over time this sort of thing settles down, but you need to do the work to understand this type of experience Is emotional reasoning driven by a complex addictive process.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It will change .
Support is vital and well done for going over the week.
J.