Notices

Immune Systems and Alcoholism

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Immune Systems and Alcoholism

Anyone have information? I'll research because I'm compulsive :-) but I seem to get things more often, like colds or whatever, and can't shake them and was wondering if its just me or common to long time/heavy drinkers? I'll google later when my sinuses let me but I was just interested in other's knowledge, experience. Might be with age, every day I seem to get older, but no bud wiser. :-)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Well...I think my immune system was definitely compromised by my drinking. A few months after rehab, I got 'Shingles' at 35 yrs old.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know the science but I think a lot of us get sick for a little while after we sober up Fitz...I know I did?

D
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are newly sober. Your body is still trying to heal itself. Eat your veggies, take your vitamins and wash your hands a lot. LOL.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Heh...i got my first honest cold in several years and i'm right at two months sober. Not sure if that's a coincidence or what. Not to mention the stomach issue i've had for a month but that may be stress. I know stress can effect your immune system and since there's a ton of stress involved in the early part of recovery, i wouldn't be surprised if it made us more susceptible to colds and the like.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
You are newly sober. Your body is still trying to heal itself. Eat your veggies, take your vitamins and wash your hands a lot. LOL.
Yes Mom, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking alcohol regularly makes one malnourished, of especially vitamin C and B vitamins, Niacin especially. I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject and actually began mega dosing vitamins before I quit drinking and I'm sure my withdrawals were eased by this. In fact the founder of AA was a proponent of high doses of niacin to help with recovery. I suggest anyone struggling with addiction read his work, you can find links on Doctor yourself . com Please do not start mega dosing all at once, it can be unpleasant, I know I made that mistake Don't believe the hype about high doses of vitamins, read the studies!!

The recommendation is to take vitamins to tolerance, there are physical signs to tell you when you're there. I've been doing this for months and what I noticed when I quit drinking was my tolerance level dropped by half. Proof enough for me. There is a great book called, the Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism, check it out.

Be well
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You guys are too funny. I will eat my vegies and wash my hands but that is probably the wrong order.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend anyone intending to start supplements - especially mega doses - should run that plan by their Dr.

It's common sense you should not take doses higher than the Recommended Daily Allowance except under your doctor's supervision.

D
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, checking again with a DR but they are not so knowing sometimes until then I am eating Red Vine Black Licorice Twists and watching Family Guy. Oh, did meditate, refrain from drinking, got on SR, laughed, might have helped.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[It's common sense you should not take doses higher than the Recommended Daily Allowance except under your doctor's supervision].

I wasn't suggesting mega dosing without educating oneself, but you will find most doctors quite ignorant on the subject. Doctors that practice based on nutrition are not easy to find, but they are out there. Research never killed a soul... and by the way... neither has a single vitamin, in high doses or not.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bill W, co founder of AA and niacin... just google it. It's very enlightening.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I don't know for sure. I've only been sick once since I got sober a year ago and used to get sick 4-5 times year before that. That's not conclusive, scientific, or anything other than anecdotal, but take it for what it's worth.

I do know that drinking sure doesn't make you any healthier.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my drinking has no effect particularly on my immune system, although saying that, I do tend to get alot of mouth ulcers, but perhaps that is from all the acid from the wine.
I also have trouble from arthritis, don't know if that's linked?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Thanks, checking again with a DR but they are not so knowing sometimes until then I am eating Red Vine Black Licorice Twists and watching Family Guy. Oh, did meditate, refrain from drinking, got on SR, laughed, might have helped.

I am glad you are feeling better. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MWarren View Post
[It's common sense you should not take doses higher than the Recommended Daily Allowance except under your doctor's supervision].

I wasn't suggesting mega dosing without educating oneself, but you will find most doctors quite ignorant on the subject. Doctors that practice based on nutrition are not easy to find, but they are out there. Research never killed a soul... and by the way... neither has a single vitamin, in high doses or not.

Some vitamins and minerals in large doses are toxic. One must be very careful. I agree with you and Dee that you should talk to your doctor. I'm sorry but I do not trust medical advice on the internet.