Notices

Binge Drinking

Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking

Hi, First time on forum, at the moment i am just coming 2 after another weekend of binge drinking, i have fallen into a rythm of binge drinking every couple of weekends i can go through the week without any alcohol and at times 2 or 3 weeks without a drop but then i go for a "few" and end up drinking myself stupid and doing embarrasing things and falling out with people.. I always end up giving out to people then including my fiance who is fantastic and really dont want to be giving out to her or anyone.. just wondering anyone with any usefull tips to avoid binge drinking i just dont seem to know when to stop when i get started... any tips welcome?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi D100,
I used to become an aggressive and angry drunk when I binged. I would tear into my GF, friends, even complete strangers. I couldn't stop drinking once I started so I stopped completely.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome D100....I have some friends in AA that were binge drinkers like that. They had to give it up for good. The binges got closer and closer together. I was a daily drinker for a long time. I had to give it up too. Neither one is a good thing. Glad you are here.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I started drinking at 13 It was amazing I felt like I was on top of the world but than that amazing feeling turned into anger, snorting cocaine, pills, stealing, and running away from people whom I love.

My bestfriend/ex (friends first) of 6 years truly loved me and he was a binge drinker as well he was doing great he would rarely drink and quit the occasional cocaine altogether. When we started dating we agreed that our relationship would not be based in drinking or drugs. I was clean for a year already than I was offered some cocaine by his family member and that's when I would only have some if they offered and he got back into it doing more than me I feel guilty about it everyday. It hurts loosing your best friend since than he began drinking excessively and I would hardly hear from him for 2 weeks than he'd get in contact with me now it's been 4 months since he last said a word to me and of course the last 2 messages I got from him we're when he was drinking and when he was hung over the second one said he would dream about me and that he loved me and he was sorry about doing that.

That's a little story I will share with you I love him dearly and he helped me get off drugs and alcohol secondly I helped myself I got beaten up by 4 girls and my "friend" left me when that happened I decided my drinking buddies were not my friends cause they always left shortly after the drugs or alcohol were absent from our reach.

Believe in yourself because your the only one who can do this ask for support from the missus, friends, and family. I'm clean now for 5 months and I'm going to college hopefully next year to study philosophy and I want to go to culinary school.

GOODLUCK!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SoberRecovery D100 and Angie6.

@ D100. Putting together a personalized recovery action plan would be a good start. Like having family and friends support you in your new life alcohol free. Continuing your participation here at SR can be part of you recovery plan. Just know you can make the changes in your life that will lead to wellness.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by D100 View Post
...just wondering anyone with any usefull tips to avoid binge drinking i just dont seem to know when to stop when i get started... any tips welcome?
Best way to avoid binge drinking? Don't have the first one. The inability to control your drinking once you start is a huge red flag. You may debate with yourself that you don't have a problem and you may continue to seek out a method that will allow you to drink and maintain control.

This is false. Save yourself a lot of grief and quit. SR can help if you want to explore ways to do that. But drinking control tips? If we had any, we'd all still be drinking, don't you think?

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't start. Don't have that first one.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think everyone on here can save you the time, effort and heartache by telling you that the only way you can control it is to not drink at all. I tried every trick there is to reduce my alcohol intake (alternating with soft drinks, only drinking after x o' clock etc) but none of them worked.

It appears you get what my stepdad calls D.I.D (Dodgy in drink), this is not you or your personality, but it will be always be there when you drink, waiting to screw things up for you. I hope you make the decision to try abstinence x

Welcome to SR (and to Angie too!) x
Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me my binges used to occur on the weekends, I had no desire to drink during the week or at home.

I think the big change I need to make is commit to different activities at the weekends. Or get a job that involves shifts on friday and saturday nights, with a couple of nights off in the week.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi D100 - welcome!

I'm afraid the only surefire way I found to avoid binging was to quit drinking entirely - once I had that first glass all my good intentions, all my plans to 'just have one or two' went out the window.

I wasted a lot of years trying. Be smarter than me

D
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR angie6 - congrats on your sober time!

D