Notices

New here

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I stopped drinking about 2 weeks ago and I still feel like crap. Getting out of bed in the morning is much more difficult now. My guts dont work to well either and I dont feel like doing anything. I had more energy when i was drunk I think. Will I ever feel better? What is going on in my body? I'm sure I did some physical damage to myself with 8 years of drinking everyday. I just want to be healthy again.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of all welcome. I think you picked a good place. I just joined yesterday and today is my 2day sober day. My guts are messed up too but coming to the close of this second day the pain is subsiding. Don't give up. I have faith that things will get better. We have to hold steadfast in our dedication to staying clean.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Lou! Great to have you here. Yes, it will get better. You'll go through many phases as your body heals. I was very exhausted and draggy in the beginning, but everything changed and my energy returned eventually.

Proud of you for quitting 2 weeks ago. We know how hard it is when you've been a daily drinker. You're dong great.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Sylver36 View Post
First of all welcome. I think you picked a good place. I just joined yesterday and today is my 2day sober day. My guts are messed up too but coming to the close of this second day the pain is subsiding. Don't give up. I have faith that things will get better. We have to hold steadfast in our dedication to staying clean.
When you guys say your guts hurt, can you be more specific? I am feeling gas like feelings behind my ribs (kidneys, I assume) .
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

You can't undo 8 years of drinking in 2 weeks. Give time time, your neurons, your stomach lining, and everything else needs to get normal again. It's been used to getting "depressed" from the alcohol and has been damaged. It will heal. Staying stopped is your priority. Your energy will return, give yourself several more weeks!

Stick around! Lots of support here!
Peace,
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lou

That's actually pretty normal

If, like me, you drank for years it may take a little while for your mind and body to recuperate - some of us really did a number on ourselves.

If you're worried about that, I recommend seeing a Dr for a check up - set your mind at ease
Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neirishman View Post
When you guys say your guts hurt, can you be more specific? I am feeling gas like feelings behind my ribs (kidneys, I assume) .
Diarrhea is what I got. Everyday. It sucks!

I don't feel the need to get a drink anymore at least. That went away faster than I thought it would. I stopped drinking mainly because if I kept spending money on it I would lose my house.

I even quit smoking pot and cigarettes too. Those urges have also gone. The cigarette withdrawal was the worst of the 3 I think. At least my brain has stopped trying to crawl out of my skull.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whatever happens drinking will make it worse in the long run
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt gas also but the pain I think because I was drinking more than I was eating. So it kinda hard for me to eat or drink much. Every hour I go with no alcohol my appetite increases a little more but my stomach is still not totally accepting of much. I'm just taking in what I can and giving it time. After all I didn't get this way overnight!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. It's been rough at first. It's nice to chat with people who know exactly what I am talking about.

I always drank and smoked to avoid boredom. As a functioning alcoholic, I was still able to put together a nice home for myself, I just knew I would not be able to keep it if I kept going down that road. Bloody stool was my wake up call.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

see your Dr Lou...blood is never a good sign y'know?

Apart from that - I still have digestive problems 5 years on from my 20 years of oblivion - you never know, you may be able to avoid that if you act now.

D
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself and don't give up ever. You deserve a life of recovery.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

...double post.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

'];[.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Go see your doc Lou. Some medication can help with those loosey goosey bowels. You may be dehydrated which won't help with the energy and general well being feeling. Take a multi vitamin and try drinking watered down blue gatorade. Fruit juice is good too. Try to clean up what you eat. Good stuff in, good stuff out, ya know? But most importantly, see a doctor.