Notices

Depression

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

I am only on Day 6 and I know alcohol just masked all my feelings but boy am I depressed as it feels like I just lost my best friend which alcohol did come first in my life.If I was happy I liked to drink,if I was sad I liked to drink, you get the picture!
I feel bored,lonley,could cry at the drop of a hat and have no energy.When do these feelings start to pass and is this normal?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand how your feeling cheeto. It does take some time for the body to recover; everybody is different. For some its a few weeks, for others longer or shorter. I spent a lot of time distracting myself, for example by playing with my profile on this website and using chat, and playing word games....also a lot of time sleeping. Don't sweat the small stuff, and don't worry about the big picture right now. Just take it day by day and things will start to get better.

Hang in there dude.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very very normal Cheeto

I hope you'll start to feel better soon - but if you don't, or you feel concerned now, maybe it might be a good idea to go see your Dr

D
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

They will pass cheeto. Just work on the next minute and then the next. Try to not think too far into the future. What matters is that you're sober now and you'll be sober a minute from that and a minute after that. Your energy will gradually return and so will your zest for life. You'll start to find interest in the things you used to enjoy and discover new joys. You'll see alcohol not as an old friend but as crutch that kept you from truely enjoying life. Go read the posts by people celebrating milestones. Gain some hope from that. Don't think too far ahead but live with the faith that the road youur on, while not easy, leads you to a bright and joyous place.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

For some folks depression lifts with time and for some it does not. A good indicator is if you were depressed before alcohol started to be a problem. If so I would recommend you get an evaluation, sooner rather than later. In either case though the depression will very likely be short lived.

I would strongly encourage you to do some physical activity if at all possible. Just walking would be a good start. It may seem difficult to begin but it may help enormously.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I agree wholeheartedly with awuh. Walking can help a ton. When i was in psych lockdown my last time in rehab (oh it was awful) walking on the treadmill did wonders for me. I was probably the mentally healthiest person there who wasn't in scrubs or a lab coat and i was the only one using the exercise room. Physical activity really helps clear out those mental cobwebs.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.I do walk everyday and did go for a walk this morning and am planning a walk later this evening too.I am also reading Alcoholics Anonoymous online right now.Hopefully I can get back to the person I was many,many years ago who was not depressed and loved life.I just need to learn how to interact with people as I always have used Alcohol as my crutch and am stunted knowing how to act around people.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you were not depressed before you began drinking, so it's likely that your depression will lift.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think everyone has this Cheeto. I don't think I've ever felt quite so emotional. And I had no energy for exercise either, walking has been a god send. I just keep increasing the amount of walking I do. I'm beginning to feel more human again now.

I hope you feel better soon x
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If you are able to walk I recommend a very fast walk for 20-30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Exercise at this level has been proven to improve the mood. It’s often not the easiest thing for many folks with depression to do however (maybe that has something to do with why it works).
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

My depressed mood improved a lot around 6-9 months in. I was also being treated by a psychiatrist and a therapist during this time for my depression, so I'm not sure how much of my improved mood can be attributed to the anti-depressants and therapy and how much can be attributed just to getting sober.

I'm not sure what your history is, but if you were dealing with depression before alcohol became a problem for you then perhaps you will want to look into talking to a professional to discuss treatment options for depression.

I can't guarantee that staying sober will make you less depressed, but I can guarantee that relapsing will make it worse.

Best wishes
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think in the first few weeks every thing is up in the air ,my mood swings were epic at times it was difficult to just hang on I don't know if that was re adjustment or anxiety or depression but it passed and now when I have a problem with mood it is manageable and is so much easier to control than when I drank so much easier.
John.