Notices

Day 3, what to expect???

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3, what to expect???

Thos of you that know me know that I have never really made it past a 1 or 2 so day 3 is big for me. The first 2 days just felt like I was hungover. Now today I am just anxious and that tightness in your chest when your anxiety kicks in. Is it going to get better or worse from here??
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get better.

Hang in there, breathe through the anxiety and you can make it through the day.

Do something to take your mind off how you're feeling, if you can.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It gets a lot better. If the anxiety is enough to cause you to go back to drinking, talk with your doctor about some help with the anxiety.

Best of wishes,
Zube
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making to to day three - great achievement!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Duke, are you going to AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been to 3 AA meetings, only one recently. I am not a huge fan but I do like the big book and have started reading it again.
I did see my doctor and do have medicine for the anxiety and it works pretty good just don't want to over do it and transfer my addiction.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats Duke! Every day is huge at the beginning. it gets better for all but at different rates. Wait'll you get to the pink cloud where you feel energized and so full of energy that you feel like rushing in six directions at once!

That passes in a month or so, so get started in an exercise program when that hits so it is habit when you fade back to normal energy levels. I got the energy boost at about 2 weeks and it lasted for about a month for me.

I was in touch with my Doc too, good move.

Now all you have to do is believe, because after a week or at most two weeks you will only fail if you choose that. Because the hangover and the withdrawals are gone.

From that point on the roles were reversed for me. Instead of alcohol thoughts defeating me, I had them under control!

Hang in there bud!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what do YOU want to happen? if ya want it to get worse, it will. if you want it to get better and put in the footwork, it will.
IMO, the question posed is that of an insane thinker.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

what is creating your anxiety? can you write a list of things you need to accomplish that could reduce your anxiety? I was overwhelmed in the first week. I had a dirty apartment, unpacked boxes, letters unopened, so much to do. List things in categories: to do today, to get done soon, immediately, future goals.

Start with the "today list" and do at least one thing a day and cross it off the list. Clean something. Do laundry. It will get better each day if you are active and not living in you head!

Love, hugs, & peace,
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My GAD is from my father. He drank to self medicate until he had a heart attack and stroke. Lived through them both and has not drank on 18 years. I have had it all my life but as I got older it got a little worse and instead of going to the Dr. I started drinking. It was a magic pill. Worked everytime until my magic pill got out of control.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Duke,
I know about that anxiety you're feeling on Day 3. I found that going for a long walk and eating fruit and vegetables helped me. Drinkers tend to mess up their brain chemistry, so it takes a bit of time to normalize.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't know how you are feeling physically, but exercise helps me so much. As do Girl Scout cookies.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us would likely still be here if it didn't get better Duke..stick with it

D
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

These videos helped me immensely, he makes a video for each day of his sobriety at the start. Scroll down for the first ones...

juvenilecomedy - YouTube
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
I have been to 3 AA meetings, only one recently. I am not a huge fan but I do like the big book and have started reading it again.
I did see my doctor and do have medicine for the anxiety and it works pretty good just don't want to over do it and transfer my addiction.

Nobody is a huge fan of them at first. I recommend forcing yourself to go for at least a month or two one meeting a day, and then at the end of that time period if you still don't like them, try a different recovery program.

I hated AA when I first went, but after a couple weeks I was in love with it. I loved my meetings and my new sober friends and I really enjoy going now.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Duke, how are you doing?