Notices

One month but a bit stuck

Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month but a bit stuck

Ok so on the face of it I'm doing well.

Had a little stumble in the beginning but am now one complete month without drinking. Go to AA meetings, read regularly on this forum, feeling 100% better in myself and sleeping well.

Why am I beginning to doubt myself?

Don't want to drink but I've kind of got used to where I am now and the changes in me and my lifestyle have slowed up. It was all new and exciting in the beginning but now think I'm in danger of taking it all for granted.

I need to give myself a bit of a kick up the butt I think and move forwards, cos standing still is dangerous....
Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey and the sun is shining!! First of all, massive congrats on a month

You've seen how everyone in Class of March has been struggling this week - the novelty is wearing off and we're all looking around, wondering what to do next...

You're right - kick up the butt. What are you going to do today? I'm going to get my ass down to the pebbles for a run (when I can drag myself off this!) then eat breakfast, clean the flat and have a shower. I've got an observation on Thursday (ugh) so I have to prepare a shiny lesson plan and mark my Y8 books haha. But then the day is mine!

Booze took up most of our time - what are we going to do to fill it now? Come on, all those things you always said you wanted to do but never had the time...

Still
xxx
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes you're right. I've got a mountain of school work to do,end of year assessments, report writing etc etc. must make a start instead of procrastinating!
Guess it is that the novelty has worn off now. I'm not really struggling like some of our friends who quit at the same time but am just not moving forward.
Think I will do a few hours work then make us all a nice meal tonight.
Life was crazy and unpredictable when drinking, not happy mind you! Maybe I'm just getting used to living without that adrenaline rush and constant state of drama!
I probably need to invest a bit of time in discovering other ways to fill my time that are more healthy!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
end of year assessments
Ugh! I have to annotate the controlled assessment sample too. Damn! I'd forgotten about that. Darn this site!

xxx
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi jeni!!

It seems we're even more similar - I'm a teacher also
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

To move forward...I strongly suggest you get into the AA program which is
about the AA Steps...

Because when I did...I shifted from often shakey sobriety into solid recovery.

Now...I go find a new member to share with...and you can do that too.
Someone needs your help...each one reach one is a vital part of my recovery.

All my best....well done on your sober time...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, do you reckon we're related?!

Nice when you meet people along the way who have so much in common, it really helps.

How are you feeling today BB?xx
Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi jeni,
not sure about how your meetings are, but I do know that meetings alone won't get you sober. I have seen many pass through who sat in meetings for a month or two, sometimes more but didn't do much else. Not their fault, often they are not told what needs to be done, they just never realise the serious nature of their situation. So after a while they get bored, restless, irritable and discontent. They've been doing lots of meetings but nothing is really changing - no spiritual awakening. So they leave. Some stay sober, some drink, some comeback, some don't.

Eventually some get to learn that the personality change required to bring about recovery from alcoholism is itself brought about by a spiritual awakening, and that comes from taking the steps. The steps are what brings a lasting and happy recovery. Maybe your flat spot is a call to action on the steps.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post

Why am I beginning to doubt myself?

It was all new and exciting in the beginning but now think I'm in danger of taking it all for granted.
Forgetting and not being mindful of the risks we pose to ourselves is an ongoing issue. I think we all need a personal strategy that works for us to combat that.

It can be done
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Starting Day 2 of being sober. It's 4:30 in the morning I slept alot of the day yesterday, now I'm wide awoke feelin like crap. My stomach hurts because I need to eat but my appetite hasn't been around for a while .The sun hasn't even come up yet & already things are happening that normally would trigger me to drink. I hope I can do this. The pain I feel right now I know I caused myself & that just makes it feel worse.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, yes I do need to move forward with AA or maybe find another path?
I've been going to meetings and they have really helped me get to this point, but I haven't started working through the steps and not even sure where to begin.
I missed a meeting last night as I was having such a lovely evening with my kids I prioritised that, and I read some of the BB to compensate.
I've even started thinking of cutting down on going to meetings now but I don't want to slip, not at all.
I've been given a few phone numbers of women at the meetings, all lovely people and maybe I should ask one of them to sponsor me now.
I'm always like this whatever I do, run headlong into new ventures with enthusiasm then run out of steam and give up!

Thanks for your replies xx
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think you are correct Jen. Best to keep movin. Get a sponsor. Work those steps. It's a journey.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny who knows perhaps! I agree it's nice to find someone so similar..

I'm really good today but then I knew I would be, I don't have problems day to day my issue is the every now and then that gets out of control and deceitful.. I'll let you all know when I have that urge!

How was your day? I hope you find something to focus your energy on!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I'm ironing! Not sure what's worse, that or planning lessons and pupil assessment profiles!!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Jeni,

It's only natural that once we start felling better that we think we're okay and can do this alone or god forbid start thinking that we can have the odd drink. I think we all have these thoughts. For me the first few months have been hangover recovery, pure and simple. Now I can start making changes to my life rather than sitting there waiting til I feel better.

I'm sure those AA meetings will keep your steam up. Don't doubt yourself!

Oh, and congratulations on the month! xxx