Notices

Found a local AA meeting

Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Found a local AA meeting

So I wanted to find an AA meeting to attend every week, and I found a "recovery club" just 15 minutes from my home. This club has a womens AA meeting that meets every Monday night. They also host a lot of picnics, dinners, movie nights, dances, etc. I am really excited about going, but I think my biggest fear is that there won't be anyone my age there. Ultimately, I don't think that really matters.

Any advice or stories on your first AA meeting?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm about to move away from my local group but when i went found the sobriety club i attend now it was a great relief to know that there was this amazing group of people out there who went through and are going through similar experience to mine and who i could reach out to if and when i needed to. Congrats on finding a group!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here is a great resource for you:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're working on your recovery.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheRestorative View Post
I am really excited about going, but I think my biggest fear is that there won't be anyone my age there. Ultimately, I don't think that really matters.
It doesn't matter....And I guess the only way to find out is to go. I find myself hanging around with a lot of people older than I am...Why?...They've been sober so much longer than I have. I can learn from people like that. But I have friends my age with the same sobriety also. Stick with the people that work a good program. You'll meet some great people. They just like to see down and out alcoholics get better....It was the best place I could be.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

The average alcoholic is 9-999 years of age. lol

When it comes down to it, as long as you share this horrendous cycle of self-defeat with alcohol, you will be my friend!

Getchurbutt there, I bet if they aren't there today, they will be there soon enough! Go ahead and have some fun!! And you can get soberer, too! Double good time!

As for that first AA meeting, I don't recall very much, I was way too self-centered and shy to pay much attention. I just kept going back! Today, I have all kinds of friends.