Notices

Great Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Great Forum

Guten tag!

I have just registered to SR. Hello to all! I am an individual with psychological substance abuse issues (compulsions, cravings and urges).

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good day to you, Abstinence, and welcome to SR. You'll find great support to help you with your issues. Do you mind if I ask if they are alcohol, drugs or both?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Good day to you, Abstinence, and welcome to SR. You'll find great support to help you with your issues. Do you mind if I ask if they are alcohol, drugs or both?
Hello and thank you for the warm welcome.

My issues are with certain drugs. I am in total control of alcohol (because I can take or leave the feeling of alcohol intoxication). However, I have no control whatsoever over my compulsive behaviours to use certain downers, such as opiates, cannabis and benzodiazapines; I am completely unable to use any of these substances in moderation. For instance, if I attempt to use any of these substances in moderation, compulsive behaviours will inevitably take over; I have accepted this now.

For me, it is either total abstinence (the wise choice) or I will simply compulsively abuse the substances that I crave. Total abstinence from all drugs (including alcohol and nicotine) is the only way forward for me.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abstinence View Post
For me, it is either total abstinence (the wise choice) or I will simply compulsively abuse the substances that I crave. Total abstinence from all drugs (including alcohol and nicotine) is the only way forward for me.
Welcome to SR Abstinence...Have you put any thought into how you are going to do that?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome to SR Abstinence...Have you put any thought into how you are going to do that?
Hi!

Yes, I have put a lot of thought into it. I know that I have great will power, so that is one advantage. I am also going to engage in dialogue with individuals like yourself on this forum to keep me alert and conscious of the issue. I am very determined.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

It's great you are determined, and that you have thought out total abstinence as the way forward. In my experience, if you tried to stop drugs without stopping alcohol, you'd risk simply transfering your dependence entirely to alcohol. I've been on that merry-go-round before. I'm an alcoholic, primarily, but have had dependencies on a variety of rx drugs, including benzos, and was dependent on cannabis for over a decade in the 70s and 80s. Total sobriety is the only way I've found to get off the path and grow.

Have you thought through your plan for withdrawal?

I look forward to your posts, abstinence. Again, welcome.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Abstinence - it's great to have you with us. I hope you'll find the encouragement and hope that you're looking for.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR abstinence
you'll certainly find a lot of discussion here

good to have you with us

D
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Abstinence!

Congrats on making a great decision and reaching out for support - that's what made the difference for me! You may also want to check out the section on substance abuse:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Glad you're here!!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I`m glad you found us.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. :ghug3
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to you, Abstinence. I admire your determination and confidence so very much. This is the primary indicator of your success, and it sounds as though you will do this, one way or another.

I started my journey with this same determination and confidence, and things have worked out for me. One big thing that helped me was the idea of watching myself, and separating myself from these thoughts. These thoughts came from the compulsive impulsive part of me, part that I could control. The key was developing the ability to recognize these thoughts as they arose and just observing them, staring at them, until they just sorta fizzled out.

Then I learned that this ability was being used by lots of people to abstain from their drug of choice (alcohol for me). Point your browser to AVRT and take a look at the Secular Connections forum here, you may find some very useful stuff.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello Abstinence. I like your approach to stopping your substance abuse issues.

A fearless determination to correct my complete failure to live life as an addict arose from being desperate and then confident.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah I have to put myself in the zero willpower department. I wasted a lot a lot of time trying to quit with that. You seem pretty confident in yours...Maybe AVRT is the way for you to go.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello (Guten Tag) welcome to SR (Willkommen in SR)
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello all!

Thank you all very much for your warm welcomes; much appreciated. Sorry that I haven't replied individually, but I do not have a great deal of time tonight.

I am, indeed, fortunate that I have an extreme level of self awareness, and I am also very fortunate to have excellent will power and self discipline. Unfortunately, however, I suffer from psychotic depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder, so that makes the addiction issues several orders of magnitude more difficult. Now that I have come to terms with the fact that I have a substance abuse problem, I can face up to it instead of being in a constant state of denial. Being on SR will be exceptionally helpful for me; it's an awesome way of communicating with individuals in a similar position - on a par with NA I would say!

I know that abstinence is only one approach to treatment and recovery from addiction disorders, but it is absolutely the only one that works for me; to reiterate, there is no way I can take my drugs of choice in moderation because compulsions and cravings always take over. Thankfully, I do not have to worry about withdrawals as I made a concerted effort to not become physically dependent on a substance.

This is an excellent forum!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome :ghug3