So my new Monday night date is AlAnon...questions

Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So my new Monday night date is AlAnon...questions

I'm done. I've reached the point of surrender. I can see that my life with the A had become unmanagable, and I bolted from him. But this isn't the end, I can see. It's only the beginning. I need to get in a place where I will never tolerate the unacceptable again. My life has been severely impacted by living with an A.

The weird thing is, this point of surrender didn't come while I was enmeshed in the turmoil of living with the A. It came last night, three weeks after I left him, after three weeks of relative calm and peace.

I was in bed reading "Codependent No More" and when I got to the part about the stages of grief, tears started pouring down my face. I was crying my eyes out. And then I went to the AlAnon chapter and read it, and read about the true peace that I can have in my life, the acceptance I will find at AlAnon, and that was it. I'm starting Monday.

I didn't want to go because I left the A and I didn't want to deal with alcoholism in my life anymore. Then I read the sentence, "We go for US, not for them."

So...how does one get a sponsor? How many meetings should I go to before I get a sponsor? How do I pick a sponsor?

I can't believe that I am going to tell everything to a total stranger...and I know I really need to.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me too, it wasn't til just about a week ago that I reached the I can not be in this place anymore spot.

Good on ya!!! xo
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started going at the end of my relationship with my qualifier. I continue to go for me a couple of years after the split began. It has helped with so many aspects of the healing.

I was worried about the sponsor piece too, and have found that the group can help support that in many ways.....just being at meetings it a big start and a big help.