Notices

What Relapse Looks Like

Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Relapse Looks Like

Imagine yourself at the top of a beautiful snow covered mountain. The air is clear, your head is clear, and you relish the fact that the people you love are with you. You look down that lovely mountain. Your family sees the beauty of nature. You see a slippery slope.

You take a drink. All of a sudden the wind blows, and the snow covered mountain is now a sheet of ice. The children love that nature creates a mirror. It reflects the trees, the lights, and happy faces for others. For you, the reflection is something very different. Your story has a different ending.

You slide, and it is painless. The ice is cold and your nerves are alive with the sensation of it. But. . .

You will find yourself at the base of the slope. Admidst the rocks, which aren't pretty, or white, or anything close to what the summit looked like. Instead, they are sharp and unforgiving. You will lose sight of how seemingly joyful the ride down that white slope was. You are too busy thinking about how everyone else is just fine, and you banged your head and your soul on the way down.

Tomorrow, I will be amongst the rocks.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Are you drinking C4G? Thinking about drinking? You can stop, you know. Dump whatever you have there and get some sleep. You don't have to propel yourself toward the rocks.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

The mountain has a middle. No need to fall all the way down. Dump what's left and dump the pity party with it. Get your ass to bed and when you wake up, kiss the ground and be grateful that you stopped drinking when you did.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Change for good, are you drinking? Well, whatever you are doing, stop, and go to sleep in peace, knowing SR is here for you no matter what tomorrow and every day after.. Just, stop.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea, who was it that said you don't have to ride the garbage truck all the way to the dump?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hahaha...nice one, Dan!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love the allusion C4G....but I agree with others that with addiction, we can arrest our slide anytime we like....

roll off onto some soft snow and stay there....call for help to get you back up on your feet

you can do this

D
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Please excuse the maudlin post. I don't anticipate a bender, but I did drink tonight. Not a lot, but enough for me to write silly words for public consumption.

Wouldn't it be great if we had an "undo" button like in Word, but at the top of our daily screens as we go through life? A little icon that allowed you to retract words both written and verbal? I would click it for this post.

But again, I am thankful for the responses. And Dee, still seeking that soft spot of snow to land and make a plan.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Our button occurs every morning, if we want it badly enough.

I'm not far from you....need a friend to go to a meeting with?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wrote somthing one time that involed a hill too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...0337-sand.html

Its been a long road but quiting booze has been the best thing I have done in a long time, like marry my wife or have children.

I had let it snowball out of control for too long....
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Thanks everyone. Please excuse the maudlin post. I don't anticipate a bender, but I did drink tonight. Not a lot, but enough for me to write silly words for public consumption.

Wouldn't it be great if we had an "undo" button like in Word, but at the top of our daily screens as we go through life? A little icon that allowed you to retract words both written and verbal? I would click it for this post.

But again, I am thankful for the responses. And Dee, still seeking that soft spot of snow to land and make a plan.
I thought you expressed yourself very well, don't be embarrassed to get something off your chest, if we all did that, perhaps we'd all be in a better position, by posting you probably helped yourself and other posters on here today

glad you're ok and hang in there x
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Our button occurs every morning, if we want it badly enough.

I'm not far from you....need a friend to go to a meeting with?
Thanks Sugarbear. I have to brush myself off and go to an offsite meeting today in Maryland. I might take you up on the offer later in the day or over the weekend. I appreciate you reaching out.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
but enough for me to write silly words for public consumption.

No words are ever silly when they come from the heart. As Mahatma Ghandi once said - "Truth never damages a cause that is just"

Sending you heartfelt hope tied up in a pink and purple ribbon from Love. :ghug3
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

dang Change...my relapses have never been that picturesque!

Usually I just come home from work tired...irritated at some nothing comment someone made. nothing worth doing planned for the evening and my default is "why not have a drink and relax"

of course I know why.

mahjong is cheaper and even though I stay up past my bedtime playing some times, I never have the same hangover, or lifehangover after doing it.

other relapses have been misguided responses to panic attacks.

I am so glad you didn't "snowball" down that hill till you shattered on those sharp rocks. Way easier to climb back up when we haven't let ourselves fall to the bottom.

thanks for posting this, I need LOTS of refresher courses on staying sober.