weird stuff

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weird stuff

This is the weirdest thing. My pop was a drug user and boozer, and one of the weird things about him was that whenever my mother and I went to the grocery store, we could never go through a checkout line that had a male as a cashier. I know this sounds really bizarre, but he was so jealous that any contact with males by my mom was forbidden. Now as a grown adult woman, I think I find myself nervous at the store—sometimes to a panic. Just feeling a little crazy—I mean I know it is crazy to feel this way.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lot Of Love Out There, Man.

It makes perfect sense. To keep it simple, an alcoholic is an “egomaniac with an inferiority complex”. The worse the disease is the worse their fears are. Jealousy is one of many types of fear. Anything that they feel hurts or threatens them is a fear, and for a practicing drunk will become a resentment. Others fears are centered around: self-esteem, security, ambitions, personal and sex relations, anything which they feel had been interfered with. Most will go to any lengths to control and they do not care who they hurt in the process. You are not the crazy one.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, you are reacting the way any person would react, with the programming you received from your family!

Sometimes when I'm really frightened and anxious I talk to myself in my head the way I imagine a friend would, telling myself everything is okay, that I am a grownup now and strong and no one will hurt me.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That stuff is so ingrained that many times you don't know that your doing it or if you do know you don't know why.

The fact that you see it is a great first step in dealing with it.

Many of us are loaded with baggage from our childhood, I have found that therapy has helped me cope much better, and that EMDR therapy has allowed me to leave some of that baggage in the past.

Best of luck to you,

Bill
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I had asked a question but I poked around the forum for a second and found what I think is the answer so thanks anyhow. Also thanks for planting the seed in my head to start looking into this as well.