Notices

Support at the bar? Never guessed

Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support at the bar? Never guessed

Hey guys,

I went to a bar that a lot of my housemates frequent tonight to hang out one last time (I'm graduating from college Saturday and moving back home, all done with finals and everything school-related) and listen to the blue grass band that plays on Wednesday nights. Ive been around a lot of drinking the past few days and it was getting to me last night more than it usually does so I was unsure if I should go. But can I just say, I'm SO glad I did.

A friend of mine who I have only seen sober once or twice said to me "So are you serious about this not drinking thing?" (he'd seen a status I posted on facebook letting my friends know I wouldnt be drinking with them anymore weeks ago). I'm not super close to him and I really only have ever hung out with him in party environments so I wans't sure if this was a good thing or not. I explained a bit and he said he was jealous. That once before he abstained for 3 months to get into grad school (he's now a PhD student in Astrology) but eventually went back and always thinks hed like to go back to not drinking and that he felt better.

We talked about similar reasons for why we do drink/have drank. He said that people really do admire and envy those who abstain more than you think, which I have generally found to be true (and I'm in college at a huge state school known for its partying). A few people have been a bit rude but most have been genuinely interested, supportive, and some even seemed to be thinking they'd like to not drink themselves.

Then, a girl i'd met before a few times (but she was always drunk, and I was some of those times) recognized me and reintroduced herself. As soon as we got past the names, she said "I'm 6 weeks sober today!" and i said 3 weeks for me and we high-fived. Keep in mind this girl is high energy, very outgoing, sought after by many attractively, and known for her partying. These are all things that I guess I wanted by drinking since I tedn to be quiet and shy once first meeting people. We then had a brief discussion of why we had both stopped drinking and how much of a waste drinking often is.

Finally, I bumped into an old friend who I hadnt seen in 2 years and who I found out will be living in the same city as me in a couple months. He was drinking but said nothing about my not drinking and didnt even seem to notice.

I'm so happy that I went and was able to have a good time without drinking. I know for me that if not drinking meant not going out i may not be able to do it. And the reception I'm getting from poeple is far more positive than I ever expected.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Or general comments?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most people general don't care if you drink or not. College is a place that people will try a lot of stuff and go overboard with drugs and alcohol. Some people will pass that phase and other can't and other will quit all together because it was not the life for them.

I'm happy that you went to the bar but if you truly have a problem with alcohol then a bar would be one of the last places to go. You go there to drink and your trying to quit all together.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good experience laurad.

I have no intention of not going out at all in my new sober life but I have been avoiding it as much as possible to start of with. Despite me thinking that this is because I worry about what people will say I think really it's just I am worried about my own reaction to being in a place where I'd normally be drinking. I have done it and it's been fine really but I'm still not sure enough of myself to do it too often. But I think you're totally right about peoples reactions. I reckon my drinking too much was much more of a problem than my sobriety will be.

Well done on graduating x