Notices

New guy

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy

I'm 49 years old and been a heavy drinker for the last 15 years. I took my last drink Sunday and am withdrawing hard, tremors ,nausea , cold sweats dry heaves anxiety, any help out there?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 We generally recommend you see a doctor for medical help in getting safely thru w/d. Alcohol w/d can be dangerous. If you start to feel really bad, please get medical help. Call the squad if necessary. Don't risk your life. W/D is usually over in a few days to a week but then comes the hard work of emotional and physical recovery.

It can be hard work but living sober is worth the effort. I'm sober over two years now and haven't felt this good in ages.

Again, welcome!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replay, what is the squad?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The ambulance, the EMTs. 911. Just be sure you're safe. You shouldn't have too much longer of a w/d. Just keep yourself safe until the physical w/d is over.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks least.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sickandtierd. I just joined the website here too. My last drink was Sunday. Reading the different threads on this forum have been a big help to me! Good luck to you!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drink lots of fluids, water juice etc. Vitamins help too, especially B vitamins. Rest if you can't sleep. When you feel like eating, eat easy food: soup, crackers, toast.

Do you have any support system in place? Friends and/or family? I see an addiction counselor once a week and visit this site daily. It helps to know I'm not alone. And neither are you! :ghug3
Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Don't hesitate to call for help if you are worried about your symptoms.

We do understand how hard this is, and I hope that you continue to read and post.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

no help really wife left last week because this addiction, but I'm dead f%$#ing serious as my screen name says, i'm sick and tierd.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are lots of recovery programs out there; AA being the biggest and best known, but there's also SMART, Rational Recovery, Lifering, and others. Me, I do fine with my counseling and SR.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome and ditto with the doctor and ER. I've gone through medical detox and have had seizures before and it's scary, dangerous stuff. Your life is worth the bills and hospitals are generally great about working out payment plans. I've gone to rehab a couple of times and learned a lot but AA has been my saving grace. The community and the program have really saved my life. The great thing about rehab is that they often stick you with a psych who can evaluate if you have any underlying mental issues which can be improved through medication. I do and the meds i'm on have really helped keep me on an even keel.

Keep reading and posting. Lots of gems on this site.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome sickandtired -

I hope you start feeling better soon...... Glad you're here - none of us can do this on our own and the support here is tremendous!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know it is hard right now, but just try to stick it out. I just am coming to the end of my w/d after stopping on Monday. My stomach is still in a bit of a know and my heart is still beating rapidly/hard, but I think I should sleep pretty good tonight. I have gone through this before, only to pick up after a few days and then binge drink for a few days and go in the silly, vicious circle. Try to drink some Gatoraid and plenty of water and some chicken broth when you can. Good luck and it does get better. I have lived sober and now recently I have lived drunk. Living sober is the only way to go.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by sickandtierd View Post
...I'm dead f%$#ing serious...
Welcome, and KEEP THAT FIRE!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new here as well, sickandtired, and have been reading a lot of threads which have helped me. I hope and think it will help you too. Reading the stories of those who have made it out and are so much happier and peaceful now - and said they wish they had done it earlier, has motivated me. And the care here of others has calmed me. I wish you the same.

I stopped drinking a few months ago (but had a one night mess up) and although I still can get somewhat anxious, I am not at that intense level I once was. Once I made it past the immediate rip current things settled down a bit. I know things will get better for you too.

Welcome.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! Please seek medical help if you need it -- your life is too important. The good news is you don't ever have to go through this again.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There is definitely help out there, sickandtired, with this website and it's many supportive members. I, myself, just became a member today. Best of luck, strength, and faith to ya!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

it's been 5 days now, feeling a little better, still have some symptoms but bearable.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sickandtierd View Post
it's been 5 days now, feeling a little better, still have some symptoms but bearable.
It's going to be a rollercoaster ride...Some good and some bad for a bit...Just don't pick up the first drink....Find some kind of recovery program to to put your energy into.....My first couple months I just kept myself busy working on recovery...It's not just handed to you...But it will also change your life. I think that's worth the work.