Notices

Week 2 Tapering

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week 2 Tapering

I'm down to 2 drinks tonight, and staying the course toward my goal towards the DrinkWise book guidelines. This was published from the Centre of Addiction and Health (US) in 1995. I mention the book because I see there is an Australian DrinkWise group and that is not the reference group I'm referring to.

Thanks for your positive vibes and prayers!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is the goal?...I'm just curious...I also wonder if the Australians taper better or worse? Sending you positive vibes.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Chakaido
Whilst I wish you well in moving towards sensible drinking, I am not sure that this is the proper site on which to be posting

As I said previously, many people on this site have a problem with drinking, and the strength I and others gain from using the site do derive from a program of abstinence

This seems to go against site rules
viz
2. Outside Agendas: (.........)It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums

Places like Drinkaware may be more appropriate for this sort of post.

I am aware there are people still struggling with their alcoholism on this site and I think this may affect their recovery by suggesting that they can moderate.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

If the goal is for controlled drinking and you are an alcoholic of my type, I did manage to find a way. One time in the laughing academy they told us that the liver can process 1 12 oz beer an hour. So if you drink less than that, you can't get drunk. Just to keep me on track, I used antabuse as a regulator. If I drank less than 12 oz per hour I would have no reaction. So off I go to the pub to put this in effect. I carefully monitored the amount I drank, no problem. Then I got a lttle bit ahead of the game and felt a reaction coming on. My eyes went red and I began having difficulty breathing. Gasping I put my beer down for a while and the reaction receeded. People were looking at me kind of funny, I was a little preoccupied with avoiding the reaction. That was the nearest I ever got to "social drinking". Red eyes and asthma weren't exactly what I had in mind. the problem was no alcohol actually got into my system, so I never got the feeling I was really looking for. No comfort, no ease. Futile really.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you only drank two drinks lastnight, why not stop all together?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

so·bri·e·ty (s-br-t, s-) KEY

NOUN:

Gravity in bearing, manner, or treatment.
Moderation in or abstinence from consumption of alcoholic liquor or use of drugs: "three years of drug-free sobriety" (Ron Rosenbaum). See Synonyms at abstinence.

Since the definition includes "moderation" perhaps tapering fits in here at SR in some way. If it gets you to a happier and healthier place then I do wish you encouragement and success.

For me personally, I simply cannot moderate anymore. Loved the quote Sapling posted in another thread..."if I don't have a drink I won't need a drink". I'm going that route.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

While I wish you luck in your tapering Chakaido, I don't think that approach is the best one. Since you're still drinking, you're going to find it hard to quit completely. The body is still going to want alcohol, no matter how much less you drink every day or week. When you put alcohol into your system, it's always going to want more. When you quit, however, you're putting a stop to it.

I tried to taper while smoking, and while drinking, and both never worked for me. I was back drinking / smoking my normal amount within a week. If you're having trouble putting the bottle down, how are you going to quit forever? Tapering is just soaking out as much possible time with something that's destroying your life.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Zakynthos View Post
From the American Heritage Dictionary:

so·bri·e·ty (s-br-t, s-) KEY
To split hairs, this is Sober Recovery, American Heritage defines sober thus

so·ber (sōbər)
Share: 
adj.so·ber·er, so·ber·est
1. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of alcohol or drugs.
2. Abstaining from or habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic drink or other intoxicants:a former addict who has been sober for 10 years.

ie it don't fit
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

That sounds like a really bad plan chakaido
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

You've accomplished tapering from 4-5 beers a night to 2.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good for you. I guess I'm not sure why you have to make such an intense effort to avoid drinking too much. If you're not an alcoholic then you shouldn't need help tapering down and if you are an alcoholic then you shouldn't be drinking.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
Chakaido
Whilst I wish you well in moving towards sensible drinking, I am not sure that this is the proper site on which to be posting

As I said previously, many people on this site have a problem with drinking, and the strength I and others gain from using the site do derive from a program of abstinence

This seems to go against site rules
viz
2. Outside Agendas: (.........)It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums

Places like Drinkaware may be more appropriate for this sort of post.

I am aware there are people still struggling with their alcoholism on this site and I think this may affect their recovery by suggesting that they can moderate.
Thank you....

I've tried moderating dozens of times and have just now finally come to accept that it's not going to work. I know lots here are like me.

Posts/threads like this are not helpful and I don't see how they fit with the forum rules.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
To split hairs, this is Sober Recovery, American Heritage defines sober thus

so·ber (sōbər)
Share: 
adj.so·ber·er, so·ber·est
1. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of alcohol or drugs.
2. Abstaining from or habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic drink or other intoxicants:a former addict who has been sober for 10 years.

ie it don't fit
Point taken. Like I said, it's not for me. I guess I was just trying to look for something more inclusive? Instead of making Chaikados feel defensive or unwelcome.

(newbie slinks back to corner)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
So it goes

I dont think anyone is trying to make him feel unwelcome. He is pursuing what we had as the holy grail - being able to drink sensibly.

As I said I wish him well in that search, if he found the answer he would sell a lot of books.

I finally realised I didnt want to drink sensibly because by definition I liked the intoxicating effect, but the problem with that is it gets you into a mess.

I have noticed that the mods arent commenting on this thread.

I presume they are looking ?

oh and sorry for the pedantry, that is the Language Graduate in me coming out. Wrist slapped.....come back from the corner, it is dark and dusty
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

even Mods have to sleep

this thread is closed for mod review.

D